Quail Coop Competition! Show off your hard work....

SiTran

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
Louisville, KY
Hey Everyone!

I have been building my coop for over a week now, mainly after work. I am almost done.
I thought it would be fun for everyone to show off their hard work. So why not a competition?

Rules:

1. Coop can't be purchased!
2. Less than $250 to build.
3. You must have had fun building it!

The winner will be decided by appearance and functionality by everyone! So come on let's see some pictures/videos!

The competition will end 08/04/2012!

Please keep the chit chat to a minimum! I want pictures and ideas. I believe everyone will benefit more from this.....but if things gets out of hand I will make a new thread and place all the entries on it so everyone can vote for the winner.

P.S. The prize will be a shipment of 100 eggs given to the top three winners. Donated by JamesMarieFarm!

Thank you!

SiTran

Last edited:
ooooh very cool :)
i'm currently remodeling a rabbit hutch (bought from someone who bought from someone, etc) into a quail hutch.
and i'm gonna try and make a hutch from scratch of my own later on.
i dont have any quail though....yet... i'm in the "build it and they will come" stage haha.

i look forward to seeing everyones coops though :)

Ok SiTran,
I'll be your Huckleberry! I build alot of pens. Most get outta hand before its all said and done. I dont keep track of the cost because I usually have a lot of scrap or come up with material long before hand and stash it way. If you were to have to go buy everything new at lowes, some of these would surely be over the 250 dollar limit. I have no interest in winning anything, just thought you may want to see a few.

This one would likely be under the 250 limit, It 30" wide and 10' long. Has a divider that swings up and latches to the ceiling for making it two 5' x 30" pens....

This one would likely be over the $250 limit if mat. was bought new.... its two 30" x 8' pens, side by side in one unit.The other side looks just like this one... also has the swing away dividers to split them into smaller pens too...

I winter my breeders in this one so I wanted to keep the wind and snow off of'em....

Tarps work pretty well when its cold, the tarps just roll up and tie up under the soffit out of the way....

This one is a condo unit I use for breeders in the spring and summer. water is on a drip system too. Rabbits on the other side. This unit is the brain child of Milliebantum and I shamelessly ripped it off.....

I have no idea what I have in this one but Im sure its over the limit.... Tho not in the pic, I use six, 24" x 24" poop pans for rabbit cages to keep the guys upstairs from bombing the guys down stairs!!!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Fat Daddy...that's some well designed...well built cages (coops-pens) Your a master....
I'm sure many people will look at those pics very close to help them with building projects....

I think this is a great competition....can't wait to see all the pics-entries...

I'll gift the top three winners..... each a shipment of 100 Coturnix Hatching eggs...Good Luck to all....

James Marie

Speechless...wow Fat Daddy! I can't wait to show you mine in a few days. I have been busy at work and had to postpone my finishing touches.

Nothing fancy here. Mine is made from left over plywood, palettes and siding after building my chicken coop. The things I bought were the hardware cloth, drippers, pipes, and feeders.

T
hese below were added recently using extra cabinets I had.

Ok Fat Daddy... Your coops are crazy. I'm intrigued by your waterer. Do you have a breakdown of that anywhere? I've bee dying to find something like this.
Killer thread.

Thanks, I use the water nipples from "QC SUPPLY" There cheap and bullet proof.... heres a link

http://www.qcsupply.com/420006-poly-threaded-body-nipple.html

You can see the 5 gallon bucket in the pic. I used a 1 1/4" bulk head fitting in the bottom of the bucket. now its threaded for standard iron pipe threads so you can use PVC or tubing and barbed inserts as you see fit. I used tubing and barbed inserts to add "flex" to that end. I used 1" pvc to run thru each pen.and just drilled the nipples into it. I used a 1/8th by 27 thread per inch pipe tap and teflon tape to thread them into the PVC.... cap the ends of your pipes so you can flush them out in the winter or for cleaning... Ideally the bottom of the bucket would be around 2' above your highest nipple. But theres alot of wiggle room here. I have put alot of these straight into the bottom of buckets and just hung the bucket about head high to chickens and turkey.... everything has figured the use of these out very fast, like in 15 mins., with exception of turkeys. they are the slow kids on this short bus... pay attention to see they figure it out before take'n away the original waterers. Heres a closer pic of the nipples and pipe thru the pens...

Back
Top Bottom