Quail eggs to eat

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
When recipes call for "quail eggs," does it matter what variety/breed of quail the egg came from? Are they different sizes (I know there are sizes of quail from "jumbo" to "button")? If you had quail eggs in a restaurant, what would be the likely source of those eggs?

Quote:
more than likely Coturnix:

IMG_0905-1.jpg

ignore the question mark, i was asking what other species of bird this egg could have came from, ended up finding otu it's jsut a dark coturnix egg
smile.png

Thanks. Would they be "jumbo" birds? I'm thinking of getting just a few, for eggs, mainly to be able to put a smaller version of a boiled egg packed in lunches or served with certain dishes.

I think they use normal sized ones but jumbo would just be extra better cuz they're well jumbo! I'd say a jumbo egg is twice the size of a normal coturnix egg. (I have both).

You can order jumbos from SamG (i forget the numbers after his sn) that's where i got mine from they're actually hatching right now
big_smile.png

Quote:
yeah they have a plethora of different names

Pharoah, Japanese, ....and that's not even getting into the colors
big_smile.png

I just happily call them coturnix unless im talking about a specific color
big_smile.png

They're called coturnix cuz the male makes a call that sounds like its' saying "Co-tur-nix!"

Back
Top Bottom