Quail feed questions

backyardmomma

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2015
northern California
I have a source of barley from a local distillery I read it should be 24% protein. I may use this is as a base for feeding my quail what else should I supplement with iT? I want the cheapest but good quality I can. I am on a shoe string here. I want to do fodder too China seed and beans lentils? I can't seem to find the protein percentages. Eventually I want raise meal worms for protein tell than I can get crickets. I can also feed eggs and I have egg shells. And clam and oaster shells are in the works. Does anyone else have budget friendly feed ideas. I am doing this as my first substantially food source. I can't wait my daughter wantS this for Christmas.

I have a source of barley from a local distillery I read it should be 24% protein. I may use this is as a base for feeding my quail what else should I supplement with iT? I want the cheapest but good quality I can. I am on a shoe string here. I want to do fodder too China seed and beans lentils? I can't seem to find the protein percentages. Eventually I want raise meal worms for protein tell than I can get crickets. I can also feed eggs and I have egg shells. And clam and oaster shells are in the works. Does anyone else have budget friendly feed ideas. I am doing this as my first substantially food source. I can't wait my daughter wantS this for Christmas.
Sprouted alfalfa is great for them and they love it. It's very high in protein. Give them compost to scratch round in and find bugs in too.

Thank you so much I confused fiber with protein I just re read so I do want to give treats and what not but what is the going rate for feed and I may order online if I can get cheep enough. I don't care if organic. But I don't want medicated.

Local feed store (go to google maps and type feed store) will have either Turkey starter (usually medicated) or Gamebird feed at about $20-30 per 50 lb bag. Healthy adult coturnix consumes about 0.8 lbs feed per week. Amazon has great feed but at slightly higher price: https://www.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-Ga...UTF8&qid=1478202629&sr=sr-1&keywords=gamebird
If you are after saving $ you can mix your own feed, I'll try to find a recipe on this forum.

Yes after anything I can do lower cost I would like too. I am getting 50 eggs and keeping 12 to start for breeding rest will be food. How much feed would I need a month is what I need to figure out I want to add fodder to the mix as treat. Any advice is welcome recipes and what not

Back
Top Bottom