Quail Fighting

I use 24% protein chick starter from tractor supply and supplement with mealworms and other high protein treats, i have had good success with this.

You do not need a male for eggs.

You can keep quail with 3 hens to one roo, that is sometimes how i end up keeping mine, though I prefer it when i have more hens.

I often use coconut oil on my quails have never had a problem with it collecting debris. plus it is safe to use in their eyes as occasionally quail will peck each others eyelids!

Definitly do not keep less than 2 hens per roo if at all possible and 3 really is the minimum. After a raccoon attack 2 months ago i am down to two separate groups that each have 1 roo and 2 hens and they seem to be perfectly fine... (but hopefully i can get more hens before too long.)

Once i kept 1 male to 1 female but it only worked for about a week before she was so bald and tired from constantly being chased that i felt sorry for her and finally butchered that extra roo and put her back in the main flock, (after a week alone for a break!)

So I shouldn't keep one male and one female? I don't really have much of a choice in the situation I'm in but I guess I'll just separate them if I see balding. Also, is 13% good for crude protein? Just found a new food.

No, you want 20% or more.

Separate the female off with just 1 male and watch closely. If you see balding, or if he's harassing her, keep them completely separate until you can get more females. Depending on the individual, 1 male to 1 female may work okay as a TEMPORARY measure.

You should really have at least 4 females per 1 male, also.

I checked on my hen today and in a little box I flipped in it’s side so she can go in, I saw this. It looks like an egg without the shell but now I’m worried.

Attachments

• BFE412BA-699C-4FFB-AC0F-2A32A56CC6D9.jpeg
    BFE412BA-699C-4FFB-AC0F-2A32A56CC6D9.jpeg
    818 KB · Views: 10
Ok, thank you. I read that it means my quail has an infection. Should I take her to the vet?

No. Lash eggs are generally a one-off, or caused by, like I said, stress. Like the kind of stress that comes from fighting. Taking her to the vet will make it worse.

if you are only planning to have a few quail, this may be best option food for you! I pay about $6 for a 5lb bag at the feed store but it sometimes has a $1 off coupon on the bag! there is also a bit of savings sometimes by buying multiple bags on amazon. smaller bags would take less storage and be fresher for you.

Back
Top Bottom