quail incubation humidity

I have never tried a dry hatch with anything, that's the first time I have ever heard that.

The ambient humidity this time of year is around 58% where I live so I could only get the bator to around 40% even if it had no water in it.

This quail thing is a funny one, over half the ppl say they need higher humidity and some are saying they need less than a chicken.

I hatch chickens at 65% for 18 days then change it to 75% for the last three days and drop the temp 1 degree when I raise the humidity.That sound like it would work with quail as well?

I run mine about 45%-50% during incubation, then up to 70%+ for the hatch. I also lower the temp to 98* for the hatch, they seem to hatch better that way.
smile.png

Quote:
What are your hatch rates with chickens? I personally do not go above 55% for the first 18 days, and then up to 65-70% for the last three days.

~Cherlyn

Quote:
Welcome Bob!
I make my incubators as well.
Let me start by saying that if you get good hatch rates in your home made bator with chicken eggs, then duplicate exactly what you have been doing. The only difference between quail and chickens is the day you stop turning and the hatch day. I'm not saying that any of the advice is wrong or not absolutely optimal, just go with what you know
smile.png

You will be fine!

Ken

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Ditto.
However, I have my best hatches of quail at 45-55% straight through to hatch.
wink.png

See, that works for you!
The largest variable in any incubator isn't temp, or humidity, but the quality of the eggs!

If some guy named "Dude???" can get a 70%+ hatch rate, then Bob Hope should do pretty good.
I'm just saying!
big_smile.png

Ken​

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Ditto.
However, I have my best hatches of quail at 45-55% straight through to hatch.
wink.png

see that might be what we have to do here Tori... cause thats what I have been doing. when ever I try to raise humididty I have drowned chicks... so I just use my crazy 'set and forget' method (if I remember to put water in good if I dont I cant stress about it... it seems to work for me!)​

My humidity wentup to 70 percent..I just put 80 quail in incubator.can I just let it dry up and not put so much water when it does.I have only hatched chickens before and I was told u needed 70 percent humidity for quail and now that I've seen some different info I'm not wanting it that high.can I just let the water dry out until humidity is better

Last edited:
I've always read that humidity and temps for quail are the same/similar to chicken eggs. Day 1-14, humidity between 30% - 40%, temp between 99-101. Day 15-18, up humidity to 55%-75%.

Back
Top Bottom