Quail Incubation Questions

Namentuppen

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I've read a lot of threads so I just wanted to make sure I'm getting this right! So for coturnix quail it's:

- Buy incubator (was looking at the Farm Innovators Model 4250 Digital Circulated Air Incubator with Automatic Egg Turner with quail rails).
- Buy quail eggs.
- Buy a calibrated thermometer, a cheap thermometer, and a hydrometer.
- Calibrate incubator to 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit and 40-50% humidity.
- Let shipped eggs rest pointy-side down in a carton for 24 hours.
- Place eggs in incubator. Eggs will need to be turned three to five times daily.
- Keep eggs in incubator at the same temperatures for 14 days.
- At 14 days, stop turning the eggs. Increase humidity to 70% and lower the temperature to 98.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Leave quail until the hatching process begins at 18-22 days.
- Don't open the incubator until the quail are done hatching.
- Once all of the quail are hatched and dry, remove them and put them in their brooder. They will need temperatures of 98.5 degrees Fahrenheit for a while, lowering temperatures by a bit each week. Paper towels as bedding the first few days.
- They may not eat or drink for a day or two. Food given (24% protein) should be crushed into almost a powder.
- Some quail can be sexed by markings when fully feathered. Others can be sexed by pressing below the vent and seeing if white foam comes out or waiting for crowing.
- One male quail to 3+ females. One male only or they will fight.
- 1 square foot per bird.
- Don't hatch a female quail's first eggs as they have a higher chance of having issues.

Is there anything I'm missing or incorrect about? Is it true that quail shouldn't have a roof taller than 8 inches?

I incubate at around 30 too and I do not raise the humidity until I see an external pip and then only raise it to only 50ish.

I do not lower the temperature ever.

Automatic turner is better because that's less opening the bator.

Start with 28% protein feed.

Get feather sexable colors for your first birds because vent sexing is not easy.

I incubate at around 30 too and I do not raise the humidity until I see an external pip and then only raise it to only 50ish.

I do not lower the temperature ever.

Automatic turner is better because that's less opening the bator.

Start with 28% protein feed.

Get feather sexable colors for your first birds because vent sexing is not easy.
Thank you! I appreciate the information! I want to get everything right if I do it. Feather sexable coturnix quail colors are mainly Pharaoh and Italian, right? My favorites are Tibetan, Pearl, Tibetan Tuxedo, and some of the pastels (I know you can't feather sex those four), but those two are rather pretty too.

Thank you! I appreciate the information! I want to get everything right if I do it. Feather sexable coturnix quail colors are mainly Pharaoh and Italian, right? My favorites are Tibetan, Pearl, Tibetan Tuxedo, and some of the pastels (I know you can't feather sex those four), but those two are rather pretty too.
Pansy fee are feather sexable so are Falb fee, Pearl and Egyptian.

Pansy fee are feather sexable so are Falb fee, Pearl and Egyptian.
Thank you so much! The Italians and pearls are very pretty. Maybe I'll try those first and get some Tibetans later on. Do you know if anyone here has had any experience with sweet_tweets_quail on ebay? They have a 99% rating out of about 825 reviews, so I assume they're decent. Myshire looks really nice too though! Are there any other good sites to look?

Thank you so much! The Italians and pearls are very pretty. Maybe I'll try those first and get some Tibetans later on. Do you know if anyone here has had any experience with sweet_tweets_quail on ebay? They have a 99% rating out of about 825 reviews, so I assume they're decent. Myshire looks really nice too though! Are there any other good sites to look?
Wait a minute! That name sounds familiar and if it's who I'm thinking of I would run the other direction. Give me a minute to dig. Brb

Back
Top Bottom