Quail injury-large open sore

Weeg Thank you, the feathers are currently clear of the wound. I had just sprayed the veterycin, so the wet feathers and her not wanting a close up were to blame.
Unfortunately, I just went to spray her again, and some of that bright red tissue looks grey and dusky.😕

Go to my profile, and in my profile comments, it should be below my quote of the month. It will look on my profile and check that it is there. Glad your interested! And for your chicken, you can start another thread with pictures of your boy, so this thread doesn't get confusing. Tag me on your new thread and I can help!
I pm’d you.

Weeg Thank you, the feathers are currently clear of the wound. I had just sprayed the veterycin, so the wet feathers and her not wanting a close up were to blame.
Unfortunately, I just went to spray her again, and some of that bright red tissue looks grey and dusky.😕
Weird . Mine had that. I’ll start a new thread for mine though.
Bacitracin? I don’t know why, but I seem to just think anything for humans can’t be used in animals. Human stuff is definitely cheaper. I’ll have to restock my cabinet.

Does it smell bad? That would be a sign of an infection. For now, take a picture and pos tit here, and then apply Neosporin to the wound. I hope she is doing alright!

Weird . Mine had that. I’ll start a new thread for mine though.
Bacitracin? I don’t know why, but I seem to just think anything for humans can’t be used in animals. Human stuff is definitely cheaper. I’ll have to restock my cabinet.
You can use humane stuff on animals. I don think theres really a huge difference, I mean, Vetrycin can be used on people. :confused:

So she still looks reasonably well and is eating and drinking.
There is still no odor, but it doesn’t look good.
I have never seen a pressure injury like this. Please let me know If this looks “normal“ at this stage. It’s been a week and a half since the original injury and 3 days since the covering came off leaving the open ulcer. Any idea how long an open ulcer like this might take to heal?
01FE171B-8D99-45F0-87BF-FF0BB42F9F92.jpeg

I'm not super familiar with that type of injury either. it doesn't look like it's seeping pus or anything... Does it feel hot? Is the picture accurate on colour, or is it red? It looks smaller than it did in the original picture.

Thanks again, I needed the support.💜
I thought it looked smaller too.🙂 But couldn’t be sure since I’m looking at it three times a day. No obvious nasty infection, doesn't seem overly warm or smell. The actual color is more of a brown around the edges, but red tissue and that odd white stuff inside the ulcer. Moist, but no real discharge. The skin is not attached to that spot, the ulcer moves over the healthier(all red) tissue and back to this spot where this tissue also looks damaged. The only sign she's struggling is some panting that started yesterday.
This evening, after that photo, the spectacularly silly bird decided to spill her food and must have taken a bath in it. Packing the wound solid with nasty semi-solid food. I had to clean all of the food out of the ulcer, which wasn’t fun for either of us. All I could imagine is how much it must hurt. And worrying about getting her so wet (spray bottle wasn't doing it) and stressed when she's already not well. Did what I could to dry her off and put her back in the warm hospital box.
I'm hoping if she made it this far, she just might make it.🤞

Update for those kind enough to help me thru this, and anyone else that might freak out when they find a large open ulcer on their bird.
She is healing.😊 The ulcer is about 1/2 the size it was last week and she has shown no serious signs of infection. Treatment has been supportive care, saline wash, veterycin spray and a little bacitracin on the outside rim of the ulcer 2 or 3 times a day.
I'm not sure how I'll ever get her back outside, as she was already at the bottom of the flock. I'm sure re-introductions will not go well, I already brought one of the girls in for a visit😕, that lasted about 3 minutes. But that's a problem for after she heals. Right now I'm just glad she's recovering. 💜

Back
Top Bottom