Quail not feeling well - PLEASE READ

ilovegumdrop

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2021
My 3 mo. old pet California quail, Gumdrop, is usually very vivacious. Just today I noticed signs that he wasn't feeling himself like being fluffed out, not nearly as active or talkative, hunkered down, and closing his eyes. He had no signs of being sick yesterday (making his calling noise, eating a lot of sesame seeds, normal poops, etc.). He lives separate from any other birds though we do have other farm birds outside. A notable symptom today is that he wasn't pooping nearly as often as usual. He did eventually poop several times (pictures included). They are loose and some had a watery/slimy substance. One had bubbles and one had tiny black-looking specs in it. I thought it might be coccidiosis so started him on Corid (in his water) this afternoon. I was worried it could be sour crop or ulcerative enteritis too but was leaning toward coccidiosis. I would be extremely grateful for any information or advice.

Attachments

• quail 001.jpg
    quail 001.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 47
  • quail 002.jpg
    quail 002.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 7
  • quail 003.jpg
    quail 003.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 7
  • quail 004.jpg
    quail 004.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 7
Attached is a picture of him this morning. He eats a 22% protein feed, sometimes hard boiled egg, and recently introduced some seeds such as the sesame seeds, millet, and whole flax. He also has whole sunflower seeds available.
I checked his crop to see if it had gone down this morning and it was not distended at all but it may have had a little something it it, it was hard to tell. I have had chicken with sour crop before and he does usually have a dried grass bedding so I was thinking it might be that but the poops don't seem to have quite the smell that the chickens have had and he is pooping so it seems like food is getting through? There were some poops where he slept last night too (pic attached). He seems a little weaker.
81BCA6A8-0006-4F33-BE9C-CA01C896EEFC.jpeg
A6F4326F-920A-4E9F-969F-4A657B6251B0.jpeg

@Nabiki @007Sean @Ravenlover
What have you been feeding him aside from sesame seeds? Do you have pictures of the bird as well?
@007Sean

Last edited:
We'll see what 007Sean says about medicines.

I would recommend cutting the treats (everything but the game bird feed) for a while, though. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of his diet.

His appetite is not great but he is really good about drinking water. Any ideas good things to feed him? He is not really into the crumble right now

I would stop the seeds/grains. Feed only the crumble feed.
I'm not sure what is the issue here! He isn't 'fluffed up' like he would be if it was UE?

He is drooping his wings but other than that...idk? Could be worms? Have you wormed him? I don't see intestinal lining or blood in his feces.
Without knowing what disease, if any he has....I'd be reluctant to advise a medication.

I'm dealing with a similar situation right now too!...but mine is both quail and pheasants.

My 3 mo. old pet California quail, Gumdrop, is usually very vivacious. Just today I noticed signs that he wasn't feeling himself like being fluffed out, not nearly as active or talkative, hunkered down, and closing his eyes. He had no signs of being sick yesterday (making his calling noise, eating a lot of sesame seeds, normal poops, etc.). He lives separate from any other birds though we do have other farm birds outside. A notable symptom today is that he wasn't pooping nearly as often as usual. He did eventually poop several times (pictures included). They are loose and some had a watery/slimy substance. One had bubbles and one had tiny black-looking specs in it. I thought it might be coccidiosis so started him on Corid (in his water) this afternoon. I was worried it could be sour crop or ulcerative enteritis too but was leaning toward coccidiosis. I would be extremely grateful for any information or advice.
Is this the same bird that just pooped a big blob of worms out?

Back
Top Bottom