Quail pen idea...

Bigdtc

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
Looking for thoughts, suggestions on this idea...
I've been gathering wood for my quail pens and the only thing else I need is to get to Home Depot to acquire some plywood, hardware and some 1/2" X 1/2" hardware cloth. So last week I found a plan here for a wood hutch that is pretty thrifty as it uses only 1 piece of plywood. Add a few smaller pieces of and wire and you end up with a 3' X 4' pen that slopes front to rear..
That said, I was behind the shop today looking at a white plastic drum and got an idea. What if I lay the drum on it's side and work(cut) the ends to make doors and ventilation for a coop? I can get clean drums for $10-$15.00..
Then I can build a scrap wood frame with some hardware cloth attached to it for a floor, placed in the drum part of the way up from the round bottom. The space below the wire frame becomes a cleanout for waste that can be pulled out with a tool shaped like the bottom in one pull. I may also add small holes for drainage/ventilation. Then I would add a full wire door to the front and a door in the rear with a window for ventilation that can open/close depending on weather.. I can add a rabbit water bottle to each pen on the side and a ceramic feeder inside. There will be room in the back to add a small shelter/nest box that can be removed if needed. I can build x-frames under each barrel for support off of the ground and add a roof if I want but I'm not convinced this set up needs one other then for a sun shelter. The white barrels will let a lot of light through and I can also add 1 strand of white christmas lights to extend the days to 14 hours for continuous egg production. This would save having to put 1 light in each wood pen.... I'll post pics when I get started. It will not be long before I start as I am expecting some adult birds shipped from a member here an a couple of weeks... Cheers!

113582_quail_pen_barell_2.jpg

113582_quail_pen_better_stack.jpg

welcome-byc.gif

I think it's a neat idea!
I'll be interested in hearing what others think. Here in Arizona I would probably add some screen to the side also for air. I see food grade drums on craigslist all the time!

Compost.... Or do you mean IN the pens??.. If so, the front will open completely so the space below the wire floor frame is accessible and the droppings can be scraped out with a tool I'm making that will match the circular shape of the bottom. I may also drill some drain holes in the bottom for thorough cleaning..

Quote:
NOT MEANING TO UPSET ANYTHING HERE, BUT HAVE YOU HAD QUAIL BEFORE? I MEAN THEY'RE LIL FEATHERED POO FACTORIES... AND IT HAS A TENDANCY TO STICK PRETTY GOOD TOO
idunno.gif

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG... I LIKE THE IDEA. I'M JUST TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT HOW I WOULD EVER BE ABLE TO GET IT CLEAN?
hu.gif

JJ...
Good questions really.

I was thinking I may cut a strip a few inches wide the length of the barrel and put wire, then get some of the rippled plastic used for green houses and such, cut them to fit from the floor of the quail to the bottom of the barrel, they would be angled, and hope most of the poop goes out the wire, if not, they would be removable for a quick scrub.

I hope this makes sense, I'm someone who see's it in my mind but getting it out is a whole different story. lol...

Back
Top Bottom