Quail pen idea...

love.gif

I have 46 live hatchlings so far. I had 1 almost break out but didn't make it.... Another just pushed through giving me the 46. I have 2 more eggs that look pippped but might have piped yesterday and did'dt get any further. I'll leave the rest of the eggs in the bator until tomorrow evening then clean it out.. If I only get the 46 i'm satisfied with that. I think that's pretty decent for 80 mailed eggs.. I set 78 eggs, including 2 from my current bunch, but they've not come out...

Congratulations on the new birds!
I am so glad everything worked out for you.
big_smile.png

Thanks! It's been a rough road but things are working out great. Thanks for the kind words. BYC Quail forum has been very helpful.

That is a good idea for pens with the use of the barrels. I have a 55 galon drum cut in half that we use as a brooder, has ventilation hole drilled about 1/3 of the way from the top of the barrel, use chicken wire on the top half that is cut away, use newspaper on the bottom, several layers with the litter on top of that, just roll the paper with the litter in it up to clean it out. No corners for the chicks to pile up in. Put the heat lamp on top of th chicken wire, we wired the chicken wire on the barrel about halfway around it to keep the cat and kids out of it,
Love the quail pen idea from the barrels, another new project for me, thanks for the post.

That is a good idea for pens with the use of the barrels. I have a 55 galon drum cut in half that we use as a brooder, has ventilation hole drilled about 1/3 of the way from the top of the barrel, use chicken wire on the top half that is cut away, use newspaper on the bottom, several layers with the litter on top of that, just roll the paper with the litter in it up to clean it out. No corners for the chicks to pile up in. Put the heat lamp on top of th chicken wire, we wired the chicken wire on the barrel about halfway around it to keep the cat and kids out of it,
Love the quail pen idea from the barrels, another new project for me, thanks for the post.

Yeah they have been great so far.. They are really easy to clean too. I clean them every Saturday and it takes about 30 minutes to complete them all.
First I use a stiff brush to spot clean the wire, then I pull the straw out with a small hoe, then I use an old broom to get the remaining small stuff. After cleaning, I have been putting wood pellets in first, just a few cups to help absorb drippy waterers ...then I put straw on top of the pellets to "catch" the droppings. It works great.

I'm at 50 chicks now.. :)

Last edited:
I was also thinking that putting something in the bottom to help asorb the mositure would be a good idea, was thinking shredded paper would work also ( use paper shreds in the nest house ) and them straw or hay, scrape it all out when its time to clean, maybe scraping out into a wheel barrow and putting the wast into a composte pile. Do you think dried leaves would work also? Another freebie, and another way to use leaves that get raked up, the paper shreds have been good for deep litter also.

NOT MEANING TO UPSET ANYTHING HERE, BUT HAVE YOU HAD QUAIL BEFORE? I MEAN THEY'RE LIL FEATHERED POO FACTORIES... AND IT HAS A TENDANCY TO STICK PRETTY GOOD TOO
idunno.gif

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG... I LIKE THE IDEA. I'M JUST TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT HOW I WOULD EVER BE ABLE TO GET IT CLEAN?
hu.gif

Couldn't you just lube the bottom of the barrels with some vegetable oil... the poo should slide right out then,,,
big_smile.png

LOL...

I just had 2 more hatch out(day 21). One is a yellow chick that had some "stuff" hanging off of his butt. I don't know if he'll make it or not because I'm not sure exactly what it is. It's trailing behind him and it looks like a really tiny piece of meat on the end.. he is alert and not peeping..creepy.. I believe I'll have to cull him.

HELP!

It looks like I'm going to have to cull that lil' chick. He's still alive but he just pooped and more of his innards(?) came out. He is alert and mobile and does not appear to be suffering. I'll give him the rest of the night and leave him in the bator with the other that hatched with him. It's terrible because there was only one other yellow chick in the whole hatch of jumbos.. This is also the only chick that hops on my hang to doze off..Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom