Quail Pens/Housing

Quote:

If enough post on here i'd be happy to add this link to my educational post if you didn't care. The subject of housing always comes up so this would be really helpful!
smile.png

I don't have a lot of space in the garage, so my grow out pens are stacked tall and narrow as opposed to wide like so many of the pens here.
smile.png
I have 4 pens stacked, with sloped dropping boards under each (doubles as a roof for the ones below). Hubby brought home some recycled rain gutters, and we cut them to size and attached them along the back and under the dropping boards. We have a long-handled squeegie that we use to scrape the droppings into the gutters, then a garden trowel to scrape them into a bucket/trashcan. You can easily do it on a daily basis to keep the smell down. That way the droppings aren't falling onto the floor indoors. I don't have any photos yet... I'll have to see if I can get some uploaded. Outdoors they just drop onto the ground, but I'm not liking the collection of flies that it's drawing. I need to sprinkle something into their droppings to keep the flies down/away.

Thanks Steve!
Really nice, makes for good shelter in the winter, too. I did not realize they preferred a darker area to lay...think if you threw some hay in there, you could intice some to SET?!?
The feeder and waterer would really reduce not only waste, but refills. Very labor saving aspect to your design. Definitely a plus.
Hey, I may want to get with you on some turkey eggs sometime. How are your Royal Palms and Midget Whites doing?

RBar

Quote:

Looks like, 1" chicken wire sides and...what sort of wire on the bottom?
The bottom will sure take a LOT of weight with all those supports...probably planning for internal larger capacity feeder and waterer, right? I had one similar once, not quite as large, but used 3/4" boards edgewise for supports under the wire...a little less droppings build up, but probably not an issue with a wider support...the birds are pretty active and keep it from building up much. I would just hose it off occasionally. I'm not sure the birds cared either way...
Wanna drop another pic when the birds start using it?!
Thanks!

RBar

Quote:

If it works, I have NO problem with Redneck!
Flies ARE a problem, even here in Tennessee, an much more moderate climate than South Texas.
This system will need a system for flushing or rinsing once a day at least. The waste has to go somewhere, too.
I am anxious to see how you put this together, especially if with low-tech, commonly available materials so any of us can steal....I mean, IMMULATE your idea!

RBar

Quote:

Actually I am stealing the idea from the rabbit world. I am going to use a corrigated plastic roof/siding sheet so that the rust will not happen on the metal. Being in South Texas with 100 degree weather my flies are driving us ALL nuts. I think the quail have taken the flies from all the cattle herds around here and now they are resting easy without their usual pests! LOL

Here is a link to what I am thinking of making into a more red neck version if you want to call it that! LOL
http://clover.forest.net/kwcages/index.html
Of course I don't want to spend the amount of money to have this system delivered for my quail, so I am going with what I think will work. This is Rabbit cage design deluxe to say the least.

Just wanted to add that because of coon attacks I have had to move the quail cage into it's own coop. I choose to put a floor in this one hoping to clean up easier. It has helped...as the dirt idea wasn't working for us and flies. I just want a more efficiant way of dealing with this.

I use a fishing net with fine mesh....usually used for trout fishing to catch the birds. Works fairly well
big_smile.png

Well I really had plans to build a couple quail cages but in the last few days I found rabbit hutches for free or $20 on craigslist so I may not now.. unless this quail obsession gets bigger and bigger heheheee

nancy

i just made this the other day there is some adult ones in there know but i have had just hatched 26 coturnix chicks wont be to long and they'll be in there
29716_sd530123.jpg

i hope u injoy

Back
Top Bottom