Quail Pens/Housing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rbar, Jun 11, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I used commercial layer cages made of 1"x2" wire and added 1/2"x1/2" wire to the bottom. Working good so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each of the layer cages was only about 7-9" wide so I removed every other divider to give them some space. I now have 1 roo and 4 hens in each pen. It's a little tight with that many birds but I am just using them for meat and eggs anyway so comfort isn't my #1 priority. Once I get the flock "thinned out" to a manageable number I will go with 1 roo to 3 hens (and pray for the best).

2. Haley_LinckHillPoultry

Haley_LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Morris, PA
    I've never had/raised quail before, and this may be a "dumb" question, but what is the usuage for quail? Are they meat birds?

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We grow ours strickly for meat production.

Steve in NC

4. tbone

tbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    southern illinois
    some people really love pickled quail eggs....

5. Jaboyd2u

Jaboyd2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Branford Fl
    I've never had/raised quail before, and this may be a "dumb" question, but what is the usuage for quail? Are they meat birds?

I raise mine for meat, I wanted to sell some to try an "make" some extra money. I have actually hooked up with a Falconer who buys my quail for her Hawk and Falcons, so I have got a steady costumer for sure. Mainly I just hatch and sell that's the fun part for me. We have a pretty good market for them around here where I live.​

6. Jaboyd2u

Jaboyd2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Branford Fl
    I have pictures of my new pen I am going to try and put it on here tonight when I finish it....

7. rbar

rbar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Some expansion of cage consideration factors.
    Further expansion, comments, that have been overlooked?

1. Indoor or outdoor usage?
    (If indoor, how are droppings addressed?)
    (If outdoor, how is cover(roof) addressed? Also, predator protection?)

2. Feeders/Waterers- external (like the standard GQF) or internal?
    (Homemade pvc, bottle waterers, etc.?)

3. Pen size? Type and size wire utilized?
    Floor:
    1/2"x1" -or-
    1/2"x1/2"

Sides:
    1" chicken wire, or
    welded wire sizes used: 1"x1", 1"x2", 1"x4"(for feeding through the cage...source?)
    Wire Shelf material even used.

4. How does the design facilitate egg gathering?
    (1/2"x1" bottom allows eggs to roll under front of cage if slightly elevated and a small gap left (2"?) at bottom front. Do not use for chicks though!)

5. How does the design facilitate catching the quail when desired? (It's nice to have a lot of space, flight pens, etc., but when it comes to catching them, it can make things difficult!)

If large cage: fishing net! Make sure it will fit in cage door!

6. Maintenance issues?

8. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Heya! I will have to get some nice pictures of my quail pen later on today. It has a house part that is 7 ft. by 7 ft. and an attached run that is 7 ft. by 8 ft.! I got all the wood for the run for free basiucally becasue I knew a guy that needed a push mower so I traded him a push mower I got for free for a trailer full of treated wood.

When I was on craigslist the other day, I saw this guy's pen that he has all his quail in.

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/grd/1217068874.html

I am going to try and make one soon that will be kind of like this one!

Cody!!

9. tbone

tbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    southern illinois
    well here are a couple pics of my quail condo.ya i know it way overkill but i was given to me so i use it. i have comercial type laying cages but i havent had a chance to reinstall them i had taken a three year break from hatching so i am getting back in slow so i dont get burnt out again....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cinder blocks were the key in making it coon proof it didnt bother me when they nipped a few toes of of some eating quaill but they finally got it figured out and was able to eat some of my baby wild turkeys through the floor i got so mad i took a day off work and put it on a block foundation...lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  10. rbar

rbar Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Beware of Lowe'scage wire...very cheap, weak welds.
    If bent, they quickly disconnect at the crossover points.
    Does anyone have the best source for good quality wire?
    I have some from a source that I have forgotten, and it is VERY large gauge and very strong. I SURE would like to get some more of that (1"x4" and 1/2" x 1").

RBar

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by