Quail poop -is this normal?

KGQuail24

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
Photos included of my drop tray. Not sure what to make of the squiggly poos, especially one very yellow one. They're highly gelatinous, for what that's worth. I'm hoping some of you can help diagnose.

I have 6 young and 1 one year-old coturnix hens, all of whom have been laying daily with the exception of the oldest bird who stopped laying one week ago but who otherwise seems healthy. All have good appetite and appearance. I've got a couple years of quail keeping experience under my belt and I've seen the ruffled feathers and lethargy, foamy diarrheas and things like that, but these squiggly droppings are strange. I can't be sure, but I suspect these weird poops are coming from the bird who has gone off laying. 🤷‍♀️
This flock was all treated with Corid in two week-long treatments 2 weeks apart this May and June right after the young ones came to me from a breeder and that resolved the runny poos they had and soon they all started laying.

Attachments

• IMG_20230703_095915468_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230703_095915468_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20230703_095928602_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230703_095928602_HDR.jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 17
Looks like some intestinal lining. How are your quail today?
The younger 6 continue to lay daily and look great! I have no more weird looking poops like that. Is that a normal type of thing? How often does intestinal shedding occur? In 15 months with my first flock I never saw that, but this group has left these in spurts.

My oldest bird who was at least 1, whom I said had gone off laying died rather suddenly a few days after my posting. I suspect ovarian cancer as she had been a prolific layer throughout the winter when I kept lights on, and apparently something like 40% of hens who get to be over 1.5 end up developing that. 🤷‍♀️

Oh, so sorry for your loss.
I don’t have quail, but my chickens sometimes shed intestinal lining. There is no specific pattern to it, nor do I know of any triggers. They look and act healthy.
I guess my advice would be to monitor for recurrent events and behaviors. Take note of blood or fecal parasites which is never normal.

Back
Top Bottom