Quail prolapse - new quail owner v worried

HattiLongSoks

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
Yorkshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone, I tried checking other threads but feel I need some extra support from the community.

We had our first egg yesterday which I was really excited about but considering there all 6 or 7 weeks I thought that might be slightly early.

I rotate my quail around my garden and decided to do it today. I have 2 pens so kept them in one. Moved one. Took them out in a box. Put in newly moved pen so I cam move the other. They did seem stressed despite how gently I tried to do everything. There were a few poops and lose poops.

I picked one of my Grey girls up and suddenly noticed she has a bad prolapse! I don't know what to do and started crying. I haven't been able to get a good photo. I feel like such a bad quail mum. I read some threads. I tried to push it back gently in but it keeps coming out. I had a salt water bath with me anyway just to clean their feet and check them generally. I did try and sit her in it but she seemed v distressed.

Any ideas?
Do I
A) keep her separate for a night and see if she recovers?
B) take her to a vet immediately?
C) something else

I keep seeing people post about Epson salt baths, I'm in the UK and don't think we have that. How do you actually keep the quail in the salt bath?

Any help much appreciated as I feel like such a bad pet owner. Thank you.

I would not be moving the quail if I were you.
Constantly moving them is stressful.

Can you leave them in one cage from now on?

What exactly have you been feeding?

Messing with her is probably making her more stressed. I'd leave her alone and let her relax and hope if corrects itself. You messing with it and trying to push it in can cause things to get worse.

I would not be moving the quail if I were you.
Constantly moving them is stressful.

Can you leave them in one cage from now on?

What exactly have you been feeding?

Messing with her is probably making her more stressed. I'd leave her alone and let her relax and hope if corrects itself. You messing with it and trying to push it in can cause things to get worse.
Oh no I'm so sorry I didn't realize. I can stop moving them I just wanted to rotate them round my garden since there on the grassy ground.

This is only the first time they've been moved in a month.

Fed them proper quail feed that I've had to buy online. I'll try and find the link but it's quail specific pellets not chicken ones.

They have grit too.

Okay I'll put her in with the others and hope it corrects itself.

Thank you so much @Kiki

Moving them is stressful.
Stress can cause issues exactly like this.

So can not getting the proper nutrition. Find a link to the feed you are using please.

It looks like you are buying something someone is mixing themselves.

Can you buy this unmixed with other seeds directly from the manufacturer?
It looks like both of those links are a mixture of this with other stuff...
https://heritagelivestock.co.uk/product/heygates-quail-layers-pellets/?v=79cba1185463
I looked a little better at their website.
They do sell these mixes but these mixes don't look good to me.

If you can switch to JUST the pellets and not the one with the seeds mixed in.

This bird may be only eating the seeds out of the mix and she may not be getting a balanced diet by being able to pick and choose which seed she wants.

I can definitely search online for some @Kiki I'll try going straight to manufacturers/find some manufacturers. So far I'm finding it proper hard to find quail good easily.
https://heritagelivestock.co.uk/product-category/animal-feeds/quail-feed/?v=79cba1185463

They have it.
PXL_20230707_122505519~2.jpg

Oh no I'm so sorry I didn't realize. I can stop moving them I just wanted to rotate them round my garden since there on the grassy ground.

This is only the first time they've been moved in a month.

Fed them proper quail feed that I've had to buy online. I'll try and find the link but it's quail specific pellets not chicken ones.

They have grit too.

Okay I'll put her in with the others and hope it corrects itself.

Thank you so much @Kiki
You are moving them from one cage to another?
I'm confused.

I saw your other post with age set up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom