Quail questions

Thepigeonguy

Songster
Feb 20, 2018
Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
So I have some clarifications that I need about coturnix quail.
1. Can protein levels be as high as 30%?
2. For a jumbo how many eggs equal a chicken egg?
3. For a standard how many eggs equal a chicken egg?
4. Can coturnix live with pigeons?
5. How fast do the chicks get fully feathered?
6. You can somewhat reliably get tuxedos by breeding English whites with Tibetans?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry for asking these basic questions.

I don't know about Jumbos but standard quail eggs I've read 5 and that's what I've used to substitute chicken eggs in baking (I find they make things a little drier). I don't see the protein level being a problem in their feed, though I've read between 24-26% is a good maintainence feed (I can only access much lower protein food in my country) but you could always dilute it with unmedicated chick starter or similar if necessary.

I don't see any reason they couldn't be kept with pigeons as I've kept them in an aviary before without problems with the other residents.

Chicks are pretty much fully feathered by 4 weeks old and start laying from 6 weeks old (as long as you don't move them to new surroundings as that delays or stops them laying temporarily). Day length influences their laying ability rather than temperature.

With the Tuxedos you'll get them from a Tibetan crossed with a White. But crossing two Tuxedos will give you Tuxedos, Tibetans and Whites.

There are lots of lovely people who keep quail here and we're always happy to answer any questions you have.

Question #1: I feel 30% protein is a little high, in my experince, it tends to "burn" them up. High protein in pheasants and grouse as well as quail can lead to thrush (sour crop) especially in hot weather. I feed 24% protein to all my birds (pheasants & quail) from hatch to death. I have my feed specially milled at a local mill, I have essential minerals and vitamins added and other things like pulverized krill for high Omega3 amino acids, which greatly adds to the quality of the birds plumage. It's not cheap but I feel it's better than a commercial feed.

1. Can protein levels be as high as 30%?
-I Feed Mine 20% Protein , mealworms, and fodders grass.

2. For a jumbo how many eggs equal a chicken egg?
-Jumbo's are about half size bigger then standard. I'd say about 3-4

3. For a standard how many eggs equal a chicken egg?
-I;d say about 4-6.

4. Can coturnix live with pigeons?
-I've never tried it, but should be okay. I've herd a lot about quails can't be kept with chickens due to the quails poop being toxic to Chickens. But I personally never tested it out and I always keep my quails indoors in a well ventilated and temperature control room.

5. How fast do the chicks get fully feathered?
-Mine are fully feathered at 3-4 weeks

6. You can somewhat reliably get tuxedos by breeding English whites with Tibetans?
- You will get Tuxedos yes, and if you breed Tuxedo to Tuxedo, you will get all three but less white due to it being recessive.

If I recall correctly, several members do keep their quails in shared aviaries with pigeons and have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom