Quail Recall Pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by neb, Jan 18, 2011.

1. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hey Everyone

A while ago I hatched out a batch of quail, of which only one is left because of sickness, wrong food and hawks [​IMG]. I will be getting some more quail and I would like to know which type of quail can be used with a recall pen. I would think it would only work with quail that are naturally in coveys? Would it work with California Quail, Harlequin Quail or Coturnix etc. And please tell me if this is a bad idea, I want to do what is best for the birds. My main interest in the recall pen is to release them every now and then for exercise, not for dog training. I think it would be great if one could let them free range for a day and have a couple of quail left in the recall pen to call them back. I have searched the internet and the main birds that I have seen being used are Bobwhite, which are not available in South Africa.

Has anyone else thought of using a recall pen for their quail to give them some freedom [​IMG]? Please tell me your opinion or experiences with this.

Cheers

Neb

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Bobwhites are your best bet, but I think this is a bad idea. They usually come back, but they could get shot, get killed by a predator, ext. I would start out with a few coturnix and give them a big run on the ground filled with straw so they can play if that's what you want.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Neb A Majority Of Places In The Us Release Is Illegal, So Your Idea Is Kinda Prohibited In Many States Here. I Do See Many Folks Use Them For Capturing Escapees Tho, And From What I Read It Works With Most Quail. Personally I Think The Whole Idea Is Going To Yeild Unsavory Results For You Simply Because You'll Just End Up Feeding Your Local Predator Population More Than Anything... Safest Way Would Be To Build Them An Enclosed Run And Allow Them To Exercise In There In A Controlled And Predator Proof Area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by