Quail Water

Oh I guess it is to late to tell you that Wal-Mart sells 8 oz water bottles for a dollars something and 32 oz bottle fro 2 something. Also what size is that pens?

C&Rman :

Oh I guess it is to late to tell you that Wal-Mart sells 8 oz water bottles for a dollars something and 32 oz bottle fro 2 something. Also what size is that pens?

i went to walmart before the feed store. the 8oz were like $2.08 and the 28oz or 30oz were $3.28. i got the ones at the feed store for $4.99 b/c they are square and fit the cage better then the round ones that sell for $3.99 and made of harder and thinner plastic.

what i'm thinking to do eventually, and not sure if this will work. i know it is a slight vacuum that hold the water in. what about a slight positive pressure. will that create a seal at the end of the sipper tube? i might also put a tube going into the top and have the tube stoppered. i could fill it up, suck in a bit to create the vacuum and cork it. if not, then i'll use a nipple watering system next year.​

Quote:
i went to walmart before the feed store. the 8oz were like $2.08 and the 28oz or 30oz were $3.28. i got the ones at the feed store for $4.99 b/c they are square and fit the cage better then the round ones that sell for $3.99 and made of harder and thinner plastic.

what i'm thinking to do eventually, and not sure if this will work. i know it is a slight vacuum that hold the water in. what about a slight positive pressure. will that create a seal at the end of the sipper tube? i might also put a tube going into the top and have the tube stoppered. i could fill it up, suck in a bit to create the vacuum and cork it. if not, then i'll use a nipple watering system next year.

If you squeeze the bottle when you invert it (fill it with the spout up then squeeze it when you turn it over) it will create a seal. Just don't mess with the ball and let it do its thing.

Quote:
You can find fitting real cheap at BASS Equipment.I have cup waterers from Cutler pheasants supply in all of my above ground cages except the quail pens.Those have the chick bowls waterers.And the rabbits have the nipples.Bell waterers going into the individual coops....Automatic systems for me is the way to go.Too much water bottle maintenance for me...lol...I may just have bad luck with bottles too with them leaking and all.I've gone through a LOT of bottles...before putting in the auto.

i'm spending tons of time with the bell waterers and bottles. it sounds like you use the cups type.

i'm trying to find a nipple system that will work with quail. it will have to be a ball valve (rabbit nipple). or so i understand.

if i can't use a large reservoir dispensing through several nipples, i'd like to find the best way to dispense it from a 2L bottle. but i'd like to do it the way, model_A_tractor has done it but with a ball valve

Anybody? i'm hoping to find a watering system sometime soon. the water bottles are a lot of work. i don't want to use "cups" again. and i am doing whatever i can to get away from the old-style bucket waterers.

there was a guy on here that pushed his nipple waterers. they mounted on the bottom of a 5gal bucket.

I was using an auto waterer for birds, but they still kept getting crap in the little trough thingie. So I put up one of my rabbit water bottles, with a bit of honey in the water. I brought the rooster up to it, and pushed his beak into the nozzle. He like that very much. Then all the others had to try it out. I then switched to regular water, and they are all still drinking from it. I wish I could train my chicken to drink this way.

will this work? http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ering_systems-ft1_hoses_nipples;pgwc1030.html . i hope that link posts.

the problem will be that i need to hook up pvc tubing to the nipples. i guess i'll just split a pvc pipe four ways and then 45' them into the breeding pens. cap the pvc pipes and put nipple on end of cap. it seems i remember something about the pressure having to be correct. and people had issues when using pvc piping with the nipples. but maybe that was the cups waterers.

thats what we got. I think they all have to be set "on a line" using pvc and set at exactly 90degrees to not risk dripping, the way the mechanism works in there.

check this one out, kinda launched our ideas after seeing this setup. they have the stainless nipples which are harder to drip proof imho and come apart. the orange ones do not. we used a little all purpose pvc cement liberally too when seating the nipple.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2636-chicken-nipples-anyone

Quote:
so, you are recommending the plastic orange ones rather than the SS metal ones? and you've used both? i think this will be the way i go. it is said to work for "game birds" and this is for coturnix quail.

i have been told that birds can't use the pin nipple. i think it was Bass Equipment company that said something like that. could you comment on that to allay fears this won't work?

thanks Model_A_tractor!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom