Quails are funny little birds...

That's okay! I'll talk to you later.
I have one little button quail. He is a wonderful little bird. He is actually sitting with me right now... Surprising. He hasn't flown away yet... His name is Scuttle (From the Little Mermaid) He is crazy just like that seagull. His colors look like him too! He is changing colors a bit, turning more Carmel than gray. Most of the time I just call him quail or Mr. Quail. My dogs love to watch him. I don't trust my big dog though. (He licks his lips when I hold the quail). I love to hear him sing, he has a couple of little chips. This morning I heard him crow. When I scratch his chin he sings his own little song. This might sound crazy but I think his feet are so cute! They are long and yellow. he's got little toenails. If only they had chicken nail polish! Obviously, he doesn't lay eggs... I was hoping for a female because It would be wonderful to have some little eggs. I kinda want to hatch them again. They are crazy and don't want to end up with too many. He is so spoiled, he wasn't intended to be in the house. But yet here he is, a 20-gallon aquarium. His house is a sandwich bag box. I found a little wreath at target and put it up there! He has a tiny Christmas tree in there too. He loves pasta noodles. I still haven't taken his heat away... It's about time. He just looks so cozy and peaceful when he sleeps under his lamp. I had 2 chicks, the other didn't end up making it, she was a bit deformed. A lot cuddler than him. Over a while, he has become a cuddle bug. When he was a chick he was bright yellow. He had squinty little eyes, they are now black beating little eyes. It's crazy, he still has the same personality. The baby loved to snuggle each other. When I found the second chick she was about 4 weeks old. She looked at ease when I found her. She struggled a lot. She could barely walk. My vet wanted to look at her. I thought that was a little crazy. It would be 70 dollars just to see her... I thought that was a little crazy. He is becoming quite the little guy! He sings a lot. Sometimes get lets out a LOUD crow. I always think something is wrong. I go look, and he's just jumping around. I tried to take some pictures. I think I need to get my phone and take themView attachment 2431035
Awww.....he is adorable!!! :love You are better off with a male rather than a female. Males are sweeter and don't have Egglaying issues. He's a cutie pie! 💖
Oh! I thought I put this in the quail section, Is there a way I can move it?
I can move this thread to the quail forums, I will go ahead and move it now. :)

Awww.....he is adorable!!! :love You are better off with a male rather than a female. Males are sweeter and don't have Egglaying issues. He's a cutie pie! 💖

Great. Now I've posted my story to the wrong place, to "crazy about quails" and I don't know how to move it. Well .. .. they too love quails there , hahaha. It's late (for me). I'll post more photos tomorrow. 🐤🌙

I never knew that! It makes me feel better about having a boy. He is super cuddly!

Hi!

One of our bobwhite males, Twinkle, is pretty good at flying. I think it was about two years ago when we used to transport them by hand from cages inside of the house to a small caged area outside. One time, we were bringing Twinkle inside our house before sunset, and he was able to escape our grip and flew up to the roof of our house! We were unable to capture him, as much as I remember. So, eventually he flew past our property and in neighbors' yards. I think he went past three houses, and we were trying to search for him there, but to no avail.
By then, it was getting late and the sun was setting or had already set. We had to find him before it became super dark since it would be more difficult to spot him, and had we given up and continued the search the next day, he could've ran away or gotten attacked by the neighborhood cats in the night.
We later found him in a (not large) tree, which was right above the area we had been searching the whole time. He flew to the ground and we tried to catch him with a net, but it didn't work. Then my brother was able to catch him with his hands.
We got the quails' wings clipped shortly afterwards.

Later sometime, he became more tame, and we don't clip anyone's wings anymore. We can even pick him up and cuddle him these days. He even waddles up to us and talks to us when we walk by, or when he hears our voices, with his own familiar song. Sometimes I'll be right next to him and he'll sing/chirp at me, all fluffed up and relaxed. Our birds tend to greet us by singing to us when we arrive home, too.
I think Twinkle has a special bond with us now. ❤

Here are pictures of Twinkle:

1606921806325.png

1606921830132.png

1606921857278.png

Hi!

One of our bobwhite males, Twinkle, is pretty good at flying. I think it was about two years ago when we used to transport them by hand from cages inside of the house to a small caged area outside. One time, we were bringing Twinkle inside our house before sunset, and he was able to escape our grip and flew up to the roof of our house! We were unable to capture him, as much as I remember. So, eventually he flew past our property and in neighbors' yards. I think he went past three houses, and we were trying to search for him there, but to no avail.
By then, it was getting late and the sun was setting or had already set. We had to find him before it became super dark since it would be more difficult to spot him, and had we given up and continued the search the next day, he could've ran away or gotten attacked by the neighborhood cats in the night.
We later found him in a (not large) tree, which was right above the area we had been searching the whole time. He flew to the ground and we tried to catch him with a net, but it didn't work. Then my brother was able to catch him with his hands.
We got the quails' wings clipped shortly afterwards.

Later sometime, he became more tame, and we don't clip anyone's wings anymore. We can even pick him up and cuddle him these days. He even waddles up to us and talks to us when we walk by, or when he hears our voices, with his own familiar song. Sometimes I'll be right next to him and he'll sing/chirp at me, all fluffed up and relaxed. Our birds tend to greet us by singing to us when we arrive home, too.
I think Twinkle has a special bond with us now. ❤

Here are pictures of Twinkle:

View attachment 2434054
View attachment 2434055
View attachment 2434056
Oh my goodness how cute is he! I underestimated the flight of a quail once. He was flying all around my kitchen! I'm happy you guys found him. I had no idea they would sit in trees

Oh my goodness how cute is he! I underestimated the flight of a quail once. He was flying all around my kitchen! I'm happy you guys found him. I had no idea they would sit in trees

Yes, he's so sweet! 😍
We've had quail escape in our house before as well... one of the times was when a hen escaped and one of our cats tried to eat her. She was okay, although she had an air pocket or something under her skin, so we had to deflate that by poking it with a needle.
That quail who flew around in your kitchen was a button quail, right? Are they friendly? We have bobwhites, so they can be a little freaked out when you get near them unless you give them lots of affection and they eventually get used to you.
Most of our quails like to roost in the night. Maybe he thought it was a good idea to stop at the tree to rest his wings for the night and get some shuteye! :D
Thank you! I'm glad we found him as well, especially before night came! It was a blessing that we did.

Back
Top Bottom