QuailShaQ 101.1

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Apr 25, 2011.

1. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:starting small, simple and with quality stock. 50 birds to start, splitting them up with a friend, we will keep some of the the best to breed and see what happens. the rest are going into his smoker when processed.
    no bird farm, just hobby farm for smoker and eggs. majored in physiology and nutrition, I like the idea of controlled diets for the birds and me, etc.
    and yup, just cuz, got no kids, lotsa time, and need something outside the office to keep my simple mind occupied.

I built the farm for the chickens at my friends nursery (pics on my byc page), now my moms acreage is starting to look very quailicious...and it is a blank slate.

Sounds like my kinda deal, no real plan. I'm gonna send in the breeder permit soon, but dont really figure on sell'in much. There again just cuz... [​IMG]

YEP AND THATS ANOTHER STEP ALONG THE PATH.....

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:Sounds like my kinda deal, no real plan. I'm gonna send in the breeder permit soon, but dont really figure on sell'in much. There again just cuz... [​IMG]

YEP AND THATS ANOTHER STEP ALONG THE PATH.....

I'm a sucker for following a game trail...

3. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Starts As A Hobby And Blooms Wildly Outta Control From There [​IMG]

Next Thing Ya Know Your Hocking Eggs On Any Sales Avenue Ya Can Find Just Support Your Hobby

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:We have a dept. of 300 IT people...

$.25/per egg, "C" or "Q".

I may need more birds... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    For the record [​IMG]

Someone at work already has the lockdown on eggs and he does it right as rain. (humble bow).

We will end up supplying friends at cost+, but have already had requests for both specie's eggs, so we should not have a big surplus.

We do intend to breed for quality over quantity with both species, we think we are headed that way with our C-Flock of "egg layers" at my friends farm, nothing pure, no wild dreams, except to have "our" C-type birds for retirement in 15+ years, Grandma Rita has been at it 60+ years at the C-Farm, she tells me as kids they used to go to the hatchery dump and find unhatched eggs to incubate for several more days, she has had all types of birds, I learn alot from her every week.

So for Quail on my mother's acreage, (the QuailShaQ and C-City are separated by over 5 miles).

We can only have ~100 birds on the property, so we are limited.

We researched and found what we consider to be one of the best lines for stock, light years ahead of where my current birds are. I have one bird with chin whiskers thats staying around but thats it.
    From there we hope to add other "top" byc breeders lines, if we can sustain it, and see where we go.

We do eat our chickens from the farm and are culling and hatching to bigger, prettier, true colored, cross-bred birds. EEs and OEs. We are giving away "good" chicks, and the "not so good" have been donated for food for pets.

At this point, we can spend money and time to try do it right, we will glean what we can from the folks here.
    do not intend to break into the fertile egg selling biz, or chicks, many others do that far better than we can. (I humbly bow to them).

just a hobby for my simple mind and stomach.

It is a learning process. I am years behind my friend at this point, decades behind some here. (again, humble bow).

I bring my OCD, systems analyst, physiology and nutrition background, I work hard, study hard and play hard.

so far, thats really all I "know". (humble bow).

TD

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    GOT ANY SPACE FOR A FULLY ENCLOSED ROMPER ROOM PEN OUT THERE? YOU KNOW SOME PLACE WHERE WE COULD PLACE ALL THE LIL COCKY WHIPPER SNAPPERS SO THEY CANT RUN AMUCK ON THE INTERNET? [​IMG]

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:I have an unused septic tank in my backyard...

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

SOLD!

HOW SOON TIL YOU CAN START WITH NEW OCCUPANTS?

.............. NOW WHERE DID ALL THEM KIDS GO TO AROUND HERE?

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010

SOLD!

HOW SOON TIL YOU CAN START WITH NEW OCCUPANTS?

.............. NOW WHERE DID ALL THEM KIDS GO TO AROUND HERE?

Yesterday! I know right where that tank is, too, though you'll have to dig a bit to find the access port. We found a corner of it the other day...

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:yes sir, and no wireless access points. they can holler, but only thing will hear is the fox squirrels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by