QuailShaQ 101.1

Quote:
Fantastic shaq! Looks like all the drugs and alcohol paid off!
wink.png

Now, I have a question for you all.....How in the world do you keep them in there!!! All you guys that keep quail in these type of pens. I mean like when you put your hands in there, aren't they going bonkers, flipping out, hitting the ceiling and trying to scoot out the doors??
barnie.gif
See I have always kept my quail in a walk in aviary, which holds the very "flushy" Bobwhite Quail. Now, that is not to say that some of my boys and girls are very friendly and come a running to see what kinds of goodies I might be packin, and others mill around my feet all the time and nearly get stepped on. But not all!

Now all this being said, during this Bob breeding season I have to cage my breeding pairs in their own cages within this aviary, and while these cages are huge, some of my girls are so spastic, they still flip out, bounce around like death is coming, and try to escape the dreaded "HAND" coming in the cage!

So back to the question at hand, how in the world do you keep them in there?? Do you ever lose one out the door?? Do you keep the net handy for just such occasions? At least if mine escape, they are still within the confines of the aviary. I have always wanted to make set ups like these here, but I would be too afraid of them freaking out on me, I would be afraid to open the door!! So what gives?
hu.gif

Believe It Or Not 2 Crows Bobs Do Acclimate To Cage Life... Still Dont Want To Have Anything To Do With You, But They Tolerate Your Interventions. But Just To Be Sure Many Of My Pens Have A Double Closure If You Will... A 2 Piece Curtain System Inside The Doorway... Allows Me To Reach In While Still Prevents Their Escape

Quote:
oh, I think the "chicken bingo" plays. we can have the "sheeeet sheet" at a booth or something to sell tickets, maybe use the chicken race winner as the bingo dropper? not fixed on the prize yet, maybe just 50/50?.

I am also trying to wrangle my younger brother into bringing his grill and flipping burgers and chicken breast sandwiches as a fundraiser for the FFA...

also want to set up 7-10 breed exhibitors, we can have tables setup for them and I have a line on tents and there is plenty of room to keep tents 25-50 yards apart and make it a nice little walkaround to the different things, on top of the main barns exhibits.

I didn't want to spill all the fun all at once
smile.png
, gonna be posting regularly on that forum to bump it and draw a little attention now and then.

thanks for all your comments and support, just want people to smile as they walk in and smile as they walk out and want to come back.

Quote:
Yup Bill, the cots are livin' there for the moment. Originally I had planned to grow them out a little and do the ol' "smack n' fry", but these little dudes are growin' on me. I'm used to my bobs bouncin' off the wire from just peekin' at 'em. These guys could care less. I can leave the cage door open without worryin' about escapes. They actually crawl up on my arms when I'm reachin' in there tendin' to 'em. They're really mellow, and I suspect that it could be the result of all the second hand smoke that they recieve. They're like little Rastafarians runnin' to the front of the pen when they catch a whiff of the green. I'm gonna' start usin' the same treatments on JJ's bobs to calm them down.

Quote:
The door frames are hung by "sandwichin'" the wire between 2 piece frames, then the doors are hinged to the frames. It's pretty easy to do if you use an air stapler to secure the wire to the inner frame, then screw the outer frame to the inner frame with the wire in between. If you really want to get goofy like I do, I run the frame stock through the tablesaw and remove enough material to make room for the thickness of the wire so the inner and outer frames screw together flush. Sometimes I forget that I'm buildin' a quail pen and not a piano.

Now, I have a question for you all.....How in the world do you keep them in there!!! All you guys that keep quail in these type of pens. I mean like when you put your hands in there, aren't they going bonkers, flipping out, hitting the ceiling and trying to scoot out the doors??
barnie.gif
See I have always kept my quail in a walk in aviary, which holds the very "flushy" Bobwhite Quail. Now, that is not to say that some of my boys and girls are very friendly and come a running to see what kinds of goodies I might be packin, and others mill around my feet all the time and nearly get stepped on. But not all!

To answer your question about escapes, I don't have to worry about the Coturnix escapin', they don't even try. I could leave the door open and walk away for an hour and they would still be in there. Now as to the bobs, you just have to train 'em. I just bop 'em on the heads with the feed scoop as the fly toward the door openinin'. Kinda like a high speed ping pong game.​

Quote:
Yup Bill, the cots are livin' there for the moment. Originally I had planned to grow them out a little and do the ol' "smack n' fry", but these little dudes are growin' on me. I'm used to my bobs bouncin' off the wire from just peekin' at 'em. These guys could care less. I can leave the cage door open without worryin' about escapes. They actually crawl up on my arms when I'm reachin' in there tendin' to 'em. They're really mellow, and I suspect that it could be the result of all the second hand smoke that they recieve. They're like little Rastafarians runnin' to the front of the pen when they catch a whiff of the green. I'm gonna' start usin' the same treatments on JJ's bobs to calm them down.

This method is said to work on old fat guys too, smooths them right out... Find'em right where ya left'em long as they don't run out of cheetoes or beer...
wink.png
Run out of either thou and they'll start to wonder around a bit...
lau.gif

Quote:
To answer your question about escapes, I don't have to worry about the Coturnix escapin', they don't even try. I could leave the door open and walk away for an hour and they would still be in there. Now as to the bobs, you just have to train 'em. I just bop 'em on the heads with the feed scoop as the fly toward the door openinin'. Kinda like a high speed ping pong game.

OR AN AIRBORN WHACK A MOLE GAME
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom