QuailShaQ 101.1

Yeah Those Points Have Already Been Brought To Light And Disputed Before
smile.png

Quote:

Chef Jon Bonnell of Bonnell's in Fort Worth said the Texas Gourmet Quail has been the centerpiece on every menu he has had in the three years the restaurant has been open. Other quail, including the bobwhite, have dark meat and have a "gamier" taste. But the Texas Gourmet Quail has lighter meat and, "It's the tastiest quail I've got." ................. Huh???

A "dressed" Texas Gourmet Quail weighs between 6.5 and 7.5 ounces, while a bobwhite quail weighs about 4.5 ounces, he said. ................. Huh???

Boy Howdy, am I confused!!!!!!
hu.gif

First let me quote someone,

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

then, let's add to this old paper article...

A "dressed" Texas Gourmet Quail weighs between 6.5 and 7.5 ounces, while a bobwhite quail weighs about 4.5 ounces, he said. ................. Huh???

basically are they saying, a dressed jumbo coturnix japonica weighs between 6.5 and 7.5 ounces, while a dressed bobwhite quail weighs about 4.5 ounces, are these numbers way off? what do yours dress out at Randall? any idea? live weight vs. dressed weight? JJ any input? Bill? I know you have numbers...

Chef Jon Bonnell of Bonnell's in Fort Worth said the Texas Gourmet Quail has been the centerpiece on every menu he has had in the three years the restaurant has been open. Other quail, including the bobwhite, have dark meat and have a "gamier" taste. But the Texas Gourmet Quail has lighter meat and, "It's the tastiest quail I've got." ................. Huh???

I have not had either lately, but can imagine the coturnix japonica would be a "lighter" dark meat...isn't darker meat a product of skeletal muscles that are used more than others? IE, canada geese breast meat, wild turkey drumsticks, chicken drumsticks vs. chicken breast meat- chickens use their legs not their breast muscles, etc. so maybe bobwhites, being more active and coturnix japonica being more sedentary could have different amounts of light to dark meat to the naked eye... but not "white meat".

they do say they bred for bigger/fuller breasts on the coturnix japonica, but only for 6 generations... those bigger breasts in theory would be "lighter" meat if they were not used frequently as flight muscles.

hu.gif

I am very open to discussion...

Quote:
I musta missed those posts. Heck, the more I read, the more I was expectin to hear "and we wash all of our birds with dry water"......lol .............. the crap a fella can read on this "world wide web of information"!

WORLD WIDE WEB OF INFORMATION OR IMAGINATION?
smile.png

BILLS GOT PIX OF A JUVENILE BUTLER DRESSED TIPPING THE SCAELS AT 10.5 OZ I THINK? THATS DRESSED WEIGHT AND THE POOR LIL FELLER WAS ONLY 1/2 GROWN
hit.gif

AND YES THE NUMBERS IN THAT ARTICAL ARE SKEWED... BUT IT EXPLAINS HOW A&M GOT TO BE WHITE. MOST FOLKS THROW A&M LABEL ON ANY WHITE COTURNIX QUAIL AND THEN START WEAVING THE TALL TALE OF HOW THESE ARE ORIGINAL A&M STOCK STRAIT FROM THE UNIVERSITY THEMSELVES... I JUST DROVE OVER THERE 6 WKS AGO AND PICKED THEM UP... THEY WEIGHT 892 POUNDS AT 3 DAYS OLD AND STARTED TO LAY AT 22 HRS OF AGE.. AND WELL WE KNOW THE WHOLE MOBY QUAIL STORY LINE...
hmm.png

THE SIMPLE FACT IS ANYONE THAT TELLS YOU THEY HAVE A&M STOCK FROM THE ORIGINAL LINE AND THEN SHOWS YOU A WHITE BIRD IS EITHER LYING OR HAS BELIEVED A LIE TOLD TO THEM--- THE ORIGINAL STOCK DEVELOPED AT TEXAS A&M UNIV. WERE A STRAIN OF SELECTIVELY BRED JUMBO BROWN BIRDS... NOT GENETICALLY ALTERED, SELECTIVELY BRED. WITHOUT GENETIC ALTERATION NO COTURNIX EVER WILL HAVE WHITE MEAT, THE SPECES SIMPLY ISNT PROGRAMMED FOR IT
hu.gif

AND YES MR CARTWRIGHT DID MAKE THEM WHITE AFTER THE STUDY WAS COMPLETE AND THE STRAIN RELEASED TO COMMERCIAL FARMING THEY WERE WHITE FEATHERED/ SKINNED... A LACK OF PIGMENT IN THE HIDE AND FEATHERS NOT WHITE MEAT, AND THAT CHANGE WAS MADE FOR ASTETIC REASONS IN MARKETING, AND THE FACT THAT THIS CHANGE WAS PERFORMED MAKES THEM NOT A&M'S AT ALL, BUT A WHOLE NEW STRAIN . NOW WETHER FOLKS HEARD THEY WERE WHITE AND THAT WAS SOMEHOW IMPLIED IN THEIR OWN INTERPRETATION TO MEAN WHITE MEAT AND NOT WHITE SKIN/ FEATHERED I DUNNO
idunno.gif
PERHAPS THEY WERE UNSCURPULOUSLY MARKETED THAT WAY MANY YEARS AGO? BUT THE FACT REMAINS THEY WERE/ARE NOT A WHITE MEAT BIRD, WONDERFUL ANIMALS IN THEIR OWN RIGHT AND IN THEIR NATURAL STATE- I LOVE 'EM, JUST LIKE ALL OTHER COLOR STRAINS, BUT THEY ARE WHAT THEY ARE IN NATURE AND NOT WHAT SOME FOLKS WISH FOR.

UNFORTUNATELY THIS STRAIN HAS HAD MORE MYTH AND MYSTERY FOLLOWING IT SINCE ITS INCEPTION THAN BIGFOOT, THE LOCH NESS MONSTER, AND WEST VIRGINIA'S MOTH MAN ALL COMBINED. ITS SAD REALLY BECAUSE IT DOES NO JUSTICE TO FOLKS NEW TO QUAIL OR TO THE STRAIN ITSELF, A LOT OF POPLE HAVE PUT OUT LOTS OF MONEY AND TIME ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED... MORE SO ALOT OF PEOPLE WITH POOR MORALS HAVE MADE MONEY FROM THIS WHICH IS PERSONALLY WHAT IRRITATES ME. I JUST LIKE THE BIRDS FOR WHAT THEY ARE.

Quote:
Thats exactly right... the one I weighed and posted was 10.5 oz live weight and just over 6 completely ready for the grill. This was at 15 weeks of age. I needed the pen space and I keep the biggest 9 out of the 24 birds. So bottom line that was the runt of a pen of half grown birds... We are talk'n butlers too thou... Bill

EDIT TO ADD: THE BIRDS WERE ONLY HALF GROWN, BUT THE TASTY PART WAS FULLY MATURE!!!

Last edited:
The eggs I purchased were described as texas a&m coturnix, so really they are not the original strain. What should a person call them ? Whites, Pieds ?? Just so I don't carry on the myth about them.

ETA- Just want to say I didn't purchase them because they were described\\labeled as texas a&m's , I just wanted the white birds. I am still glad I got them.

Last edited:
Thanks JJ !! So now I just learned about mine. It is just like you said..newcomers have no idea. If someone had come to the house and ask me about them I would have told them those are Texas A&M birds because that is what I thought I bought.

Back
Top Bottom