Quaker Style coop design plans

turkish621

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2018
I am looking to build a 5x8 or 6x8 quaker style coop. I would love to find some plans to look at one that someone built with details. I have been looking all over and have not been able to find any, thanks in advance!

I am looking to build a 5x8 or 6x8 quaker style coop. I would love to find some plans to look at one that someone built with details. I have been looking all over and have not been able to find any, thanks in advance!
Do you mean this style?
1611745629122.png

Plans from Etsy linked. $16.95, 4.9 star rated.
I'd modify it as follows:
  1. extend the roof over hangs another 6-9" and install the windows so they are top hinged and backed with 1/2" hardware cloth. This will also help protect the top hinged nest box from water infiltration at the hinge joint.
  2. leave a gap in at the ridge of the roof and install a ridge vent.
  3. leave all the spaces between the rafters open and cover them with 1/2" hardware cloth before installing the siding.
  4. cut open the triangle area over the door and the opposite wall and cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside and a baffle vent on the outside.
With these modifications, you may end up with a decent coop!

Do you mean this style?
View attachment 2504619

Plans from Etsy linked. $16.95, 4.9 star rated.
I'd modify it as follows:
  1. extend the roof over hangs another 6-9" and install the windows so they are top hinged and backed with 1/2" hardware cloth. This will also help protect the top hinged nest box from water infiltration at the hinge joint.
  2. leave a gap in at the ridge of the roof and install a ridge vent.
  3. leave all the spaces between the rafters open and cover them with 1/2" hardware cloth before installing the siding.
  4. cut open the triangle area over the door and the opposite wall and cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside and a baffle vent on the outside.
With these modifications, you may end up with a decent coop!

Dobie,
Similar to that, yes. I want it to be a little bigger (5x8 or 6x8) and quaker coops have offset roof lines.

Attachments

• quaker-coop-5.jpg
    quaker-coop-5.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
Dobie,
Similar to that, yes. I want it to be a little bigger (5x8 or 6x8) and quaker coops have offset roof lines.
Though this roof shape naturally gives more protection to the exterior nest box, which is nice... it still needs all of @DobieLover 's modifications.

Extending the roof over the door is needed, well... x2 Dobie's comments..

But this roof shape gives almost zero space in regards to the gable ends. Instead of nice big triangle spaces to leave open and cover with wire.. well... there is very little space above the door for a vent.

Also... whichever roof shape you go with... it sure is nice if you can extend the roof out over the run and get some covered run.

Back
Top Bottom