Quality makes a difference?

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
Has anyone noticed if it makes a difference to buy chicks at the feedstock (big hatchery) versus some smaller hatcheries that claim higher quality?

Buying from a good private breeder makes a huge difference in appearance and breed traits, even in temperament, because they are more closely involved with their birds.

Hatcheries in general follow a McDonald's model. Lots of roos and tons of hens in a big pen without a very picky selection process.

As far as health...
The stress that chicks go through definitely makes a difference.
We know chicks have all the nutrients needed to survive for the first 3 days after hatching, but that doesn't mean the process of shipping is easy on them.
The less time they spend in transit, the better they tend to do. Good weather helps too.
That said, a lot of chicks survive adverse conditions and grow into healthy birds.
But the absolute healthiest chicks I've seen are the ones we hatch ourselves. We get them eating & drinking on the first day most of the time, which gives a strong boost to their development timeline. When they haven't had to deal with all that stress, it's like night & day.

I have ducks and turkeys, so can’t speak to chickens....
But. I’ve had ducklings from my small town feed store that did so well, I ordered turkey poults from the same (large) hatchery.
The ones that survived shipping (most of them) did very well.
I ordered my next set of ducklings from a different (large) hatchery. 5 of 6 made it, and they are doing ok.
I made the swap due to the fact that hatchery #2 had availability, and no one locally or Hatchery #1 had any of the breed I was looking for.
I ordered a different variety of poults from a medium sized hatchery that only deals w turkeys, and are absolutely dedicated to the varieties that they raise.
They came across the country - and have been by far and away the most healthy, sassy babies I’ve ever brought in! I would absolutely recommend working with someone who is dedicated to the breeds/ varieties you are looking for, but works on a smaller scale, if you can.
The “big hatcheries” are a fine back up plan if you can’t find another route IMO

Also. We hatch ducklings and poults and sell locally. (Knocking on wood and NOT challenging the universe lol) The babies that we have hatched and placed have been thriving in their new homes 💕

We keep them for a day or so to make certain everyone is eating/ drinking/ moving well before we call the customers on our reservation lists. We are available to help w questions/ problems.
I love getting photos of “our” babies growing up happy and healthy 🥰

...hope that helps 😉

It depends, there are so many variables. Which hatcheries? Shipping success or failures depending on weather and USPS. What's 'better' mean?
'Show quality' means a dedicated private breeder having the birds you want, and if possible driving there rather than shipping. And might mean poorer egg production, if size and looks are more important in that breeding program.
Very popular breeds and colors from many hatcheries might be very nice birds, good producers, and not ever show winners.
Good/ excellent egg production often relates to smaller body size, so maybe not up to breed standards, might be less than perfectly colored, whatever. Hatcheries want good egg production, so more chicks per hen.
And birds hatched at home, from healthy parents who are eating right, and then fed well and with good management, will have the best start in life.
Health depends on good genetics and good management!
Mary

You also have to take disease risk into account too. Large, public and commercial hatcheries are far more likely to have protocols in place to prevent most diseases and will have better sanitation and quarantine for the eggs they bring in to hatch. Little places that don't sell to giant customers may not have all those protocols in place because their sale group is smaller and less damaging to their reputation if a customer gets a bad batch than if a giant customer got an issue with their order

Back
Top Bottom