Question about barred rock hen!

learycow

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Southern Maine
I got 4 barred rocks this spring. I was told they were from a reputable hatchery, but you just never know these days!
I've had barred rocks before, and they have all had short combs like this one
6334875569_bd3762d44c.jpg

However, 1 of these has a big floppy comb! I am not sure if it is just a genetic flaw or if it means she is a different type. It doesn't really matter to me, I am just curious
smile.png

Here's a picture of her
6335632058_7220ed1695.jpg

At this angle she kind of looks like a rooster, but I assure you it's a hen! I have had chickens for years now, plus I'm getting 1 egg from everyone
wink.png

I have one who's comb is large and stands straight up and one with a large comb that flops over. I love them both. If I had known what great personalities BR's have I would have gotten 4 of them instead of the other 2 RIR. But then again my 2 RIR's are the best layers.

So far I find the BR's to be most personable. My Henny Penny was a small one with a small comb and she hatched six eggs from which 5 were roosters and all had larger combs and were much larger than the hens in body size. Enjoy them BR's. They were so much fun. The loved people and being handled. People often commented that they were more like dogs than chickens. lol

Back
Top Bottom