Question about Black East India ducks

ThreeGlovers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
Beebe, Arkansas
I got 3 BEI from Ideal last week with my order of chicks. What I want to know is how big should they be at a week old?

When you compare them to the chicks at a week old they seem to be bigger than the chicks. I did not order any banty chicks so I thought that the ducks would be smaller than the chicks.

If their growth is different than a chickens that is fine by me I was just wondering if my BEI were going to get bigger than the approx 2lbs advertised?

Thanks for any help with answers.

Bo

call ducks,

Thanks for the reply. Are your calls smaller at a week old like a banty chick compared to a full size chicken? My BEI are actually the same size or maybe bigger than the RIR rooster packing peanuts that they were sent with.

Bo

Hatchery BEIs are going to be larger than the standard. Virtually every bantam at a hatchery tends to be a little on the large side. They will still be bantam ducks, but it's pretty likely that they'll top 2.5lbs.

Thanks omniskies,

That is kinda what I was expecting to happen. I didn't really expect show quality or size. I was just wondering about how they were outgrowing the chickens.

Bo

Ducklings grow _fast_. Even my BEIs are out-growing the chicks they're in with. That's why ducklings need the higher protein feed - it's so they can keep up with their own growth.

On that note, if you have your ducklings in with chicks make sure you're feeding non-medicated feed. If you can get a broiler feed all the better since it's extremely high in protein and is never medicated.

Usually if you don't specifically request feed that is non-medicated then you'll be getting the medicated stuff. A lot of people don't know that about ducklings so I figured better safe than sorry
smile.png

Enjoy them. I love my BEIs. I just wish they weren't seasonal layers.

Back
Top Bottom