Question About "Black Oil Sunflower Seed"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThunderStruck, Jun 24, 2007.

1. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    Good Morning everyone! I have seen them mentioned a couple of time and i have a quick question about the black oil S.F.S, are they to be given shelled or un-shelled, and what will they do for my girls? Thanks!

Forrest

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I give mine shelled and the girls just gobble them up!

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    hi thunderstruck,
    nice question, i have been wanting to get those seeds. but i was thinking about them for attracting certain birds that will kill small snakes. so if i buy them i could use them in the chicken pen too! i know they love the wild bird seed i throw out for them to scratch at and eat!

Thanks mudhen, for the info too!

4. momma-hen

momma-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    I give them shelled 'cause I found that it's cheaper per pound to do so. They gobble it up like candy. And, it adds vit E to their eggs....good for you too [​IMG]

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    thanks momma-hen, always learning something here [​IMG]

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I feed BOSS to my girls all the time. From what I understand, they add oil to shine up the feathers, help prevent eggbound, adds omega 3 oils to the eggs, as well as high in protein. My birds love them and they are good to add to scratch in order to cut back on the amount of corn fed during the hot months. I feed the seeds in the shells.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    more good info, our hearts should be even healthier [​IMG] thanks becky

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    At what age would you folks give them the shelled sunflower seeds? I've been dying to give some to my flock (6wks) but the seeds seem so big LOL!

-Meghan

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...the shell has a lot of fibre and next to no nutritional value ... in addition it could possibly cause crop problems or punctures in airsacs... so why give it to them shelled? A bad idea in my book.
    There are several threads on it over at the EZboard BYC location:
    http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchickensfrm13

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You all have lost me here... To shell a seed is to remove the hull. Shelled seeds have the hull removed. Un-shelled seeds have the hull still on. BOSS is bulk seed in the hull or "un-shelled", usually sold in a 50lb feed sack. The only shelled seeds I've ever seen are the small bags of sunflower seed "hearts" sold for snacks.

The hull poses no problem to them, they are eating it as nature intended. If it was a problem I'd have dead sparrows, cardinals, and chickens everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by