Question about button quail

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Ok, I have been wondering this for a while so I may as well ask. What is the purpose of button quail? Are they just good as pets or do people raise them for other reasons as well? I have read about people hatching out hundreds of them but I just can't see what you would do with all of them. They seem far too small to eat, so what do you do with all those buttons?

some people use them in larger aviaries as "clean up crew" they eat what the other birds are dropping... some have them as pets, i guess some might eat them, appetizers with bones??

Mostly they are pets. With very low space, food, and care requirements and quick to mature many enjoy playing with the color genetics and such. For a chicken you'd have to wait 6months to start on the 2nd generation and even the simplest project will take you years. With buttons you can isolate a color gene in a few months because your next generation is reproducing in 8-10weeks after only 16days of incubating. The eggs do make cute little snacks if you have the patience to peel or crack something that small. Extra birds I don't sell also go towards my cat's raw diet. Free meal.

I heard that some people have them to feed to their pet snakes.. Not me.. I have button quail.. And I am new to poultry/game birds. And right now I am having fun with their genetics.. Seeing what colors I get from what birds.. Im on a misson to create a certain color with certian markings.. I know their are some out there that are the color that I want.. I just cant find any for sale.. Well off to view more of BYC and watch my cute as can be baby buttons...

Edited to say...
And they are perfect apartment poultry... They dont take up much space and are not to noisy that they are detected.. I have stealth buttons.. Hidding from the law.. Well actually landlord.. LOL.. We can have pets here but you have to pay a deposit for each one.. I dont do that with my buttons, so that is why they are hidding from the law..

Last edited:
I keep them as aviary cleaners
They are fun to watch and playing gene games with them is great!
Some people use them to feed other animals I don't and won't
I eat the eggs sometimes

Quote:
Seems to be a common question here, the purpose of a bird (do a search through the archives, same question many times). The reasons are as varied as the owners that keep them. Of all the Galliformes, they are the best species for those in urban or suburban areas for whatever reason.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom