Question about chicks for sale at TSC

When I got my ducklings yesterday and chicks today, the lady just handed me the clipboard. I changed one number on my DL, and put down a non-existant address (still my street name, just wrong number). I also gave them my old cell phone number, which doesn't work any more. Sorry, no one needs to know where I live just because I bought critters. Someone shows up at my house, there will be trouble.

Granted, I have so many chicks and ducklings right now, I'd tell them good luck figuring out which ones were bought and which ones I've hatched! Then I would show them my fat and happy hens and nice roosters and tell them to go away. I've had problems with people stealing rabbits, so the rabbit cages (and the bantam cage) are locked. My chickens run from anyone else, and there is a night light up in the back yard, so they can actually see well enough to get away from someone at night too. I need to get one goose to be a guard dog, or just get some guineas to be an alarm system.

Ok, enough for my rant, lol. Back to nicer things!

Emily in NC

I bought some chicks from TSC two years ago to replace some layers and had to fill out paperwork. The gov't wants to know who has chickens in the event of a bird flu outbreak.

I was in TSC yesterday and they were putting a pen around the chicken tanks strong enough to hold my biggest horse! The said PETA observed children handling chicks and thought that was cruel hence the pen. The clerk also said PETA followed the family of the children handling the chicks to a resturant where the kids ate without washing their hands thereby risking salmonella. PETA confronted TSC about the liability and TSC buckled. As far as forms, that was started a couple of years back in response to the bird flu. The local govts want to know who has chickens in case of a bird flu outbreak in the USA.

Personally, I'm glad to see those cluckasaurs behind strong fences; they are descendent from dinasaurs you know. As far as the PETA spies? Nothing that a couple of dozen farmers with baseball bats couldn't straighten out.

Or maybe the small flock and backyard breeders will start to breed for standard,egg laying,disposition etc and the breeds will actually improve because of this. With more chicks being purchased from these people and less hatchery (mega production low-quality) stock our beloved heritage breeds will start to make a comeback for the traits they were originally bred for. Just a thought ? Not to mention stores will quit prodding their customers for information to sell to 3rd party co.s when the consumer start to affect the bottom dollar.

Back
Top Bottom