Question about chicks for sale at TSC

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
So, I needed chicken food and decided to head on over to my local TSC (with $5 off coupon in hand), and I thought I would just *see* if they had chicks while I was there.
wink.png
No chicks yet
sad.png
but they had the big wash tubs set up ready for them and the manager said they're expecting them any day this week.
jumpy.gif
Somehow I wound up with starter crumble and a heat lamp in my cart.
big_smile.png

My question is, why were there signs up that said that chick customers HAVE to provide their names and addresses? Why does TSC want to know personal information about customers buying chicks from them? Just curious.
hmm.png

Just a FYI - you HAVE to buy at least 6 chicks from them now too.

My guess would be a watered down version of the NAIS is the reason TSC is trying to get your info. I would check on it. It is a big issue for horse owners in texas, along with anyone else who has livestock. The intent is to register EVERY "livestock"-type animal in the country so that they can "monitor" and track disease. I would be wary of this and try to find out some more info from the store manager as to why they are implementing this policy. I personally don't think it is any of their business!

Yep, it's kind of pushing me towards buying chicks from a local farm instead of TSC. Maybe it's just in case they need to do some kind of recall on chicks they sell, due to illness?
idunno.gif
I wonder if hatcheries like MM or Ideal, etc. are having to keep/report customers' personal info too.

did your state pass a law stating that you have to buy a minimum number of chicks, rabbits and ducklings? Ive seen alot of that on here lately in certain states, its to prevent the dumping of them after Easter. If so than thats why they want your contact info.

I think that ideal and MM keep info just because chick orders are like invoices for a product or service. If there is a problem, they can look up your info to try to resolve it. However, I would post a question to see if there are any breeders in your area. That would probably be your best option. I'm not liking that TSC is doing that. It is bad enough that the government is trying to implement this horrible idea, but a private company has no business doing this on their own. I hope this is not a new law in your state! If it is, I wouls start raising hell with the local media, editorials, etc.!

Which TSC is this? I was in the burlington store the other day and idn't see the sign. But then again they were just setting things up.

Does anyone know aboutt he quality of the chicks from TSC? A few years ago I had luck with some barred rocks from there but that could have just been luck!!

When I bought chicks from TSC last year,I ended up with ALL ROOSTERS.I bought 12 and everyone was a dang rooster!!
he.gif
So be leary buying from them or you will have my problem.I'm thinking the hatchery they bought the chicks from did that on purpose.I'm getting ducks from them but we don't care about that because there just pets for my kids.
love.gif

Oh and they didn't need my info either.That may be just if you want to pre-order them.
hu.gif

Not just TSC.
When I bought my chicks at the Brighton Merchantile Mart a couple weeks ago, they did the same thing. I scribbled in some unreadable digits on the form and went my merry way. I'm new to all of this, so didn't catch that this wasn't a standard thing they do every year. I see pros and cons I guess...God knows I filled out a lot more paperwork to get my new kitten earlier this year.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom