Question about egg laying and boxes...

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have a broody (long story) and so we blocked off the nesting boxes. I leave one open during the day and then they're all close at night. It seems to be working in breaking her but my flock is all laying so are they not laying because of me blocking the boxes off? or because it's winter? My one laid an egg this morning but She laid in the middle of the coop due to the boxes being blocked off. She lays anywhere she wants really so I'm not surprised.

They could not be laying because of the shortened daylight.
Some people put the broody in a crate to break her so that the others can still lay an egg in the nesting box.
I choose to break the broody by continuing to remove her from the nesting boxes and only block the boxes at night.

They could not be laying because of the shortened daylight.
Some people put the broody in a crate to break her so that the others can still lay an egg in the nesting box.
I choose to break the broody by continuing to remove her from the nesting boxes and only block the boxes at night.
Cage didnt work because she even got comfortable in it but that's because she was in the house. It was raining and very cold so I couldnt put her put there. Cage did help a little bit but the blocking off the boxes seemed to help alot in just 2 days. She never roosted at night unless I put her up. She always slept in the box but tonight she got up on the roost by herself. So I'm very happy lol

Cage didnt work because she even got comfortable in it but that's because she was in the house. It was raining and very cold so I couldnt put her put there.

Actually you probably should've left her out in the rain and cold - I've always left my broodies outside no matter the weather and they were fine, if cranky. Cool/cold air under their bellies will break them. If it's extremely cold, then you can put stuff around the broody breaker to provide wind protection, but still keep her chilly enough to break.

Catering to that one bird is now causing the other layers difficulties, because you're not letting them use the nests for what they're there for.

Actually you probably should've left her out in the rain and cold - I've always left my broodies outside no matter the weather and they were fine, if cranky. Cool/cold air under their bellies will break them. If it's extremely cold, then you can put stuff around the broody breaker to provide wind protection, but still keep her chilly enough to break.

Catering to that one bird is now causing the other layers difficulties, because you're not letting them use the nests for what they're there for.
She seems to have a specific box she likes so I may just cover that one and hope for the best. We have 3 and she likes the one by the door so I'll uncover the 2

Back
Top Bottom