Question about hard boiling fresh eggs

Chick-a-dow-dee

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
I don't know if m so accustomed to commercial eggs than fresh eggs or what but my hard boiled fresh eggs were very difficult to peel. How long do you boil fresh eggs so that the whites come clean from the shell?

And let me just add that my potato salad was the gorgeous deep yellow, everyone thought I added mustard to it, nope just yummy fresh eggs that my beautiful girls gave me.

Do you put the eggs in first and then bring the water to a boil, or bring the water to a boil first and then add the eggs? If you bring the water to a boil first before putting the eggs in, then the boiled eggs will be hard to peel. If you put the eggs in first, and then, after bringing the water to a boil, boil the eggs for ten minutes, they are much easier to peel.

I almost always put the water in the pan first, eggs 2nd and on to the heat 3rd. Most of the time I start with cold/cool water but if I have been running the water, I might use warm/hot water. When the eggs are done, I dump the hot water out and run cold water over them, let them sit and when I go back if the water is hot, run more cold water over them and start peeling.

Isn't 10 minutes over cooking them? Granted I don't usually time them but I thought it was 5 minutes?

We always boil our eggs for 10 minutes. One other thing I forgot to add if you don't want the shells sticking to the eggs. When they finish boiling, run cold water over them and while the cold water is running over them, crack the shells. This will keep them from sticking when you peel the shells later.

Yeah we boil them that why too, put the eggs in cold water then boil, cook, then run cold water over them but we didn't let them sit, I'll try that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom