Question about keeping hens in cages (to determine egg color)

LunaMarieWolf

Songster
Dec 31, 2018
Wister, OK
What are your thought on keeping hens in a cage all to themselves temporarily, to see what color egg they lay?

I know keeping chickens in cages for an extended period of time is a no no, but what if you put them in a cage for a small amount of time (at most a week)?

Of course, they have acess to food and water, and they have enough room to stretch their legs. (So they aren't in a small cage where they can't move)

If they are laying, you wouldn't need more than a day or two to get a egg. If you keep the cage in the coop with the rest of the flock, and they have food, water and protection from sun/wind/predators. I don't think it would be too bad. I wouldn't keep a healthy hen separated like that for a week, though. Just my opinion.

What are your thought on keeping hens in a cage all to themselves temporarily, to see what color egg they lay?

I know keeping chickens in cages for an extended period of time is a no no, but what if you put them in a cage for a small amount of time (at most a week)?

Of course, they have acess to food and water, and they have enough room to stretch their legs. (So they aren't in a small cage where they can't move)
Once the hen lays her egg, you have your answer and you can let her out. Broody hens are kept caged for three days and longer.

Back
Top Bottom