Question about large cat noise (bobcats, mountain lions)

sred98

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Oklahoma
The other night, DH and I got home late from a festival our town has. The horses were waiting for us up by the gate, so we're out there talking to them and petting them. Just enjoying the peace and quiet. (It's about 2:30 AM) All of a sudden the horses jerk their heads up, and stare off into the woods. We look where they're looking and then hear kittens crying. A bunch of them. However, these aren't the cute, high pitched kitten sound that pierces your ears when it goes on for too long!
tongue.png
This is a growly raspy kitten sound. A lot of them. We could pick out at least 3-4 different voices.

Is there anyway to tell the difference between mountain lion kit sounds and bobcat kit sounds? We know we have both, although the great state of Oklahoma stands by it's opinion that we have no mountain lions here. We've seen them, our neighbors have seen them, and one was even killed by a train here!

So, can you tell the difference? Is there a site that has the kitten sounds recorded? Or, since they are both larger cats, would the kittens sound too close to determine?

It's a little disconcerting not being at the top of the food chain on your own property, but we are adjusting!
gig.gif

Shelly

I would suggest a google search for large cat sounds maybe?Large cat sounds ( bobcat etc) sound different that reg cats I would think.

or its a feral cat looking for a mate? I have some feral cats around here and they sound like someone is murdering them at night. Odd sounds.

I didnt know OK has large cats..I allways thought of OK with no mountains .. just flat wheat fields.. lol.. Who wudda thunked it..:
big_smile.png

Well, we are in the area called "Green Country"
gig.gif
Honest to goodness that's what they call it! Anyway, we've seen both out here, and it was kittens, but not housecat kittens. There were several and they were mad. I am guessing they were hungry because she was out hunting. That's what it sounded like.

Our neighbors have had mountain lions kill their goats and go after their horses. They are out here, but are "officially" not.
roll.png

I'll try and do a search for the sounds. I just wonder if there's a lot of difference between the bobcat and the mountain lion sounds.

Shelly

Kansas also says there's no mountain lions here despite many sightings in our area and other areas of the state. I don't know if they'd sound the same or not, but I would think they might sound similar.

Depending on the age of the kittens thay can sound similar. Without actually hearing it though I can't say for sure. My guess if they were that noisy, is that they were bobcats and that there momma had taken them out to hunt and they were squabbling over whatever she had caught.
I think if it were lions you would have found some kind of kill unless it was something small. Like a fawn or rabbit.
Both cats can get loud at a kill. The lions I have heard though at kills are high pitched. I've only heard lions a few times though.

hmmm....having been around regular cats and kittens, it sounded like they were hungry and calling for their mama, but in the deeper scratchier voice than a regular cat.

Katy...well, I've been told that since they "aren't here" there are no limits on killing them. However, I don't want to try and end up just wounding one!
hide.gif
I think I'd lock myself inside and call DH or the neighbor! LOL!

So far, the mountain lion hasn't been too close to the house. It seems to stay out of our immediate yard (2 acres) and goes closer to DH's shop and the deep fork of the creek. The bobcats go all over.

Cougars aka Mountain Lions aka Puma aka Panther is the only large cat that does not purr or "mew" they bark. They sound very much like a cross between a fox and a small dog. Trust me I know what they sound like as I have met one face to face in my garage and have one that comes through my garden every night...he was even kind enough to meet me at coop one evening.
th.gif
he was kind enough to allow me to take his picture and NOT eat me.

Cougar2.jpg

Cougar1.jpg

If you heard what sounds like kittens, it was not a mountain lion or a lion cub.

I would suspect feral cats. Dangerous to chickens and birds for sure.

Last edited:
There was one living in someboy i know'shorse barn a few years back here in eastern ks bobcats tend to be extreemly shy and stay as far away from humans as they can. so you may have mountain loins. don't think a bobcat sounds alot differnt from a feral cat and i've heard of them crossing but baies are sterile. adult mountain lion will have a loud screeming roar so listen for that. let me know what happens. could be a feral cross cats too. o also i think feral cats have 7-10 to a litter bobcats have 3-4 and lions i think have only 2 or 3.

Quote:
rittert3, did you read all the posts before you replied? Hon, mountain lions do not now nor ever have they roared, they bark. A female will scream (almost like a high pitched teenager or woman's voice) and hiss in defense but they do not roar. If you hear them scream it is likely you will not survive because you have her cornered for a fight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom