Question about quail meat

JudiRose

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
southern Illinois
We are very much novices to quail raising. We just started raising jumbo bobwhite quail this summer and have raised about 500. We've hatched, sold, and butchered (still have a couple hundred more to butcher), but are also interested in trying coturnix.

We love the meat from the bobwhite, but are thinking the quicker maturity rates for the coturnix would be a good thing for us.

A friend told us that he didn't think we'd like the meat from the coturnix, that it wasn't like meat from the bobwhite. I'm wondering how true this is. We don't know anyone raising them in the area to be able to try them first.

Also, are the coturnix the only quail who mature and breed so quickly?

Thanks!
smile.png

Judi

I had coturnix and yes their meat isnt very good. It was tough and iron tasting. There isnt much to eat either. Plus they poop so much it isnt funny. I quit raising them because no one would pay a fair price for the eggs and the meat just wasnt good enough for me to keep raising them. They are the fastest maturing quail but I agree with your friend that they dont taste like other game birds. I know a few people that quit raising cots and raise bobs or chukars for meat instead.

How long does it take for bobwhite to processing age?? I'm considering raising quail for meat and eggs I'm not sure witch raise.....

Last edited:
I'm sorry to just now be answering this. I didn't see it for some reason. To some degree, we've butchered them according to the time of year and when we need them. But they're usually around 12 weeks old. Very, very tasty and tender. I've made them a variety of way; fried, stewed with dumplings, smoked, grilled, roasted. I've not eaten anything in my life but bob white. I'd be curious how other varieties differ. Ours are Georgia Giants.

I've eaten a lot of Coturnix. Lots of people say they don;t like them, that's because they do not know how to cook them. Since coturnix are so small and not a lot of fat on them you have to cook them quick. 10 minutes max is the cooking time for these little guys. Cook longer then that and they will start to get dried out and tough.

I've eaten a lot of Coturnix. Lots of people say they don;t like them, that's because they do not know how to cook them. Since coturnix are so small and not a lot of fat on them you have to cook them quick. 10 minutes max is the cooking time for these little guys. Cook longer then that and they will start to get dried out and tough.

X2

We like to stuff them with cream cheese and a jalapeno.. rub with a nice seasoning rub and wrap with bacon before tossing them on the grill...
droolin.gif

Everyone who has tried them loves them and asks when we'll be firing up the grill for the next batch (then invite themselves over)!

Back
Top Bottom