Question About Rooster Behavior 6 Weeks Old

Ervien01

Chirping
Feb 26, 2020
Hello- Thanks in advance for your help, this is my first flock. I have a six week old rooster. The breed is Easter Egger. He developed very quickly. Started crowing at 4 weeks and at 6 weeks he has the full strut going. I am not planning on keeping him & have been lucky enough to find a good home for him but they can’t take him for another week. My question is, he is already becoming aggressive towards the girls. He’s trying to mount them. I’ve caught him grabbing several of them by the neck. The other day, one girl’s head was all bloody. I didn’t see the incident but think it was him. Is this normal behavior at 6 weeks? And should I separate him from the others? Thanks for the help!

Yikes, some roosters get a surge of hormones and don’t know how to be gentle. I’ve had both types, some gentle while mating some not so much. But it’s probably because the girls aren’t ready and so he’s trying to force it. How much space do they have?

When I had a rooster like that, thankfully they were free ranging so the girls had enough room to run away. They’ll cooperate more the older they get but since you’re not keeping him and he’s hurting the girls, maybe separate him if you have the space.

My advice is not expert advice, just something I would personally do.

Thank you! I appreciate the input. They’ve got a spacious brooder, it’s my storage room. 😂 I’m planning on moving them to the coop next week. I separated him tonight & do have the room. I wasn’t sure if this was normal.

Hmm looking back I didn’t have 6 week old cockerels trying to mate, but I also wasn’t outside watching em all the time. But for sure none hurt the girls at that age. Maybe he’s a random one. Hopefully someone with experience with tons of roosters will have some input. I’ve only ever had a small handful of roos.

Back
Top Bottom