Question about rooster 'gameness'

UPDATE: Well, I am apparently Head Rooster around here now. Didn't do anything new or different, just strode around in my big boots doing human stuff and ignored him, but now he sidles away when he see me coming, and keeps me in the corner of his eye at all times, ha! Maybe I had an effect after all. Not going to do anymore alpha-ing, though. Being a rooster is exhausting. I'll stick with the ignore method.

Your birds are beautiful, do you have any idea what breed they are?
I saw someone here suggested a dremel for trimming spurs. If you don't have one, dog nail clippers work well too. You can sneak out and use these while he's roosting and they don't even wake up (I'm talking just trimming of course). Glad to hear things worked out with the roo. We have 4 rooster right now, ranging from "pets" (I can fluff their butt feathers as they walk past) to one that is a total turd ( a stunning millie fleur booted bantam) who is getting culled as soon eggs go in the incubator.
Its been my experience that if he's keeping you in the corner of his eye he's probably just plotting and planning. Lol. :mad:

Thanks, cottontail! These three are 'Gamefowl' breed chickens, and the roosters used to be bred to fight, so I posted to find out if training was difficult or special because of their breed. Sounds like roosters of any breed can go either way, haha! Thanks for the tips!

Not moving too fast and not getting in his way is the key.

I have a gamefowl, a very aggressive one. Human he sees, human he needs to attack and we won't stop unless you grab him but when you put him back in the floor, he will start to fight again. I guess that's the gamefowl genetic. Another way to stop an attack is with water. Sticks or anything you can throw at him will only make it worst.

He normally doesn't attack me, in fact he jumps on me for cuddles when I sit. But we do fight. I have to be very aware of where is he and his body language. If I get too close and take him by surprise he will attack me, no doubt.

How old is your rooster?

Back
Top Bottom