We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Question about roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by workindog, Jul 18, 2019.

1. workindog

workindog Songster

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    Is it possible to keep more than one rooster together? I have a listing to rehome at least 3 of my 4 young roosters. In my post i said they arent to be eaten, killed or used for fighting. Im HOPING people with farms and free range birds would be interested.

I finally got a message from someone wanting all 3. He said he has a pen with 6 birds and room for more.

I am new to chickens but it sounds sketchy to me. Why take all 3? My understanding is if you have more than one, they will fight. Am i over thinking this or could this actually work?

I know the odds of finding them all actual "homes" is slim but the thought of them being hurt in some way hurts my heart. I mean iffffff it comes down to it, I would rather do a humane dispatch for meat vs cock fighting or possible animal torture.

So can 3 roosters live together? Or could this guy possibly be up to something??

Ty

penny1960 and chrissynemetz like this.
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Multiple roosters most definitely can live together, provided there’s enough hens and space. There will be a “top” rooster or one that’s more dominant.

3. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    However, if he only has 6 hens that would not be enough for 3 roosters. He’d need a lot more!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They will not be used for cockfighting. Multiple roosters of most breeds can be housed together as hatcheries do it all the time. You can also keep them as bachelor groups where ideally there is several or more versus just two or three. Check out the place before agreeing to sale. It is possible interested party is interested in them as table fare.

5. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    I have ~40 chickens with about 12-14 roosters. They all get along fine, maybe the occasional neck feathers rise, but they don’t care much because they have a lot of land to roam. Also, bachelor pads are a thing and you can easily keep many roosters together.

6. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    You can put the roosters only in a separate pen, and make an all rooster pen.

7. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    As everyone else has said, yes you can keep multiple roosters together several different ways :)

FluffTheDuck, workindog and penny1960 like this.
  8. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I have raised 2 together with 22 hens they cockerel worked it out early

chrissynemetz and FluffTheDuck like this.
  9. workindog

workindog Songster

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    Ok ty everyone for your input! If i hear back from him i will only let him have them if he allows me to come see their potential home. :)

10. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    I have 20 hens with 3 roosters...
    Yes, there is a dominant. There's always going to be.
    I HAD 77 hens with 7 roosters. That also was fine.
    He will need more hens if he only has 6 hens though.

chrissynemetz and Wolfefarmyard like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: