Question about roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by workindog, Jul 18, 2019.

1. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Three roosters with six hens probably won't work out. However, three roosters by themselves without hens would work fine.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Unfortunately there isn't a straightforward answer. A lot is going to depend on how you keep them. I know of very few people who have kept multiple roosters in a run and coop environment for any length of time. I suspect many who post that it's all fine have a fairly short period of observation and possibly the mix is cockerels and roosters.
    I've found that two roosters/cockerels per flock, preferably father and son, with a number of separate flocks works best. When I got to the point there were more than two roosters in each flock, serious fighting was the end result. In some flocks things were fine for a year or two and then at full maturity the fights to lead the flock got serious.
    The idea that more hens fixes problems with competing and fighting roosters is I'm afraid nonsense.
    You can keep a rooster flock but why? They don't lay eggs and a rooster without hens is a rather pointless life in the eyes of the rooster.
    The problem in the end ime and the experience of the other chicken keepers I talk to here is territory, not hens. If you are prepared as some do here to let your chickens completely free range as in not attempt to house them and just supply feed, they tend to sort themselves out. This does at times mean fights to the death, or less senior roosters being driven out of the flock and territory completely and these often get predated.
    For many here with backyard confined flock a rooster is unnecessary. The rooster can't carry out the duties he is most suited for and often behavioral problems towards the hens and the keeper are the result.
    There is a world of difference between keeping a few hens for eggs in a run and coop and keeping chickens.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I maintain bachelor groups for 6 months to a year at a time. Sometimes more than one group.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's your best bet...otherwise you have no control or right to expect it.

5. workindog

workindog Songster

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    all 4 had to go today.... Found out a bunch of people were complaining to our post master about them and wondering who owned them....

6. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Snitches!!

Willowspirit and workindog like this.
  7. workindog

workindog Songster

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    I've been crying my eyes out.... i just hope it will be as quick and painless as possible

8. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    I’m so so sorry!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So where did they go?
    Are you not allowed crowers in your area?
    Sorry you're so sad :(

10. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    I think she's going to dispatch them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: