Question about swim time

Britesea

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
My ducks are about 10 days old now. I've been letting them swim in the bathtub, but I want to make sure they aren't getting chilled or tired so I only let them play for about 10 minutes or less. Can they spend more time in the water, or should it be less? How can I tell?
When I take them out, I put the heat light a little closer than normal for a short while, until their down looks dry again.

I'd really like to get the benefit of others' experience with this as the information I've found in books and online have been a bit vague

when my ducks where about the same age i put them in some water for a little while. they should be fine if they are dry before it gets dark cold outside. just make sure you keep that heat lamp on them:)

Thanks country girl. Today was their fourth day in the tub and they are really enjoying it now. I had bits of lettuce and cheerios floating in there and they had such fun zooming in on the treats! If I sit real still on a chair next to the tub, they don't go into panic mode anymore, and today, they even allowed me to toss a few more treats into the tub without rushing to the far corner.
One little guy was at the shallow end, just standing there looking around- one foot firmly planted on the bottom, the other foot lazily swimming-- it was the funniest thing!

Also, today was the first time they let me just pick them up to put them back in their brooder box-- no running and hiding, no acting like they saw duck on the menu card. Maybe they will finally start liking me!

That's great I'm glad things are working out! and your lucky... I'm on my second batch of ducks and they are still afraid of me! well I guess I've got to work with them a little more:) Good luck!

This morning during swim time, I heard one of my ducks trying to quack... it's soft, but it definitely doesn't sound like a peep. These ducks are just barely 2 weeks old, is this possible?

This morning during swim time, I heard one of my ducks trying to quack... it's soft, but it definitely doesn't sound like a peep. These ducks are just barely 2 weeks old, is this possible?
Might be just something that slipped out by accident. LOL I've never heard of one quacking that young but you know how them girls are always have something to say.

Back
Top Bottom