Question about the Preen Gland in Ducks

addctd2plnts

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
St. Charles County, MO
I have a question about the preen gland. I think I know the answer, based on observations, but would like confirmation. Ducklings obviously have their preen gland. I've seen mine preening from 2 days old, and I've seen them waterproof at 2 weeks old when let them have their first swim. Is the gland actually functioning? And if it is, could it get plugged or malfunction?

Photo is a duckling in question. All the other ducklings in the group look normal. It's eating and drinking fine, but appears to have wet feather......It's the second one I've seen lately in unrelated posts.
Possible wet feather.jpg

I have a question about the preen gland. I think I know the answer, based on observations, but would like confirmation. Ducklings obviously have their preen gland. I've seen mine preening from 2 days old, and I've seen them waterproof at 2 weeks old when let them have their first swim. Is the gland actually functioning? And if it is, could it get plugged or malfunction?

Photo is a duckling in question. All the other ducklings in the group look normal. It's eating and drinking fine, but appears to have wet feather......It's the second one I've seen lately in unrelated posts.
I do believe the oil gland is functioning some from the beginning,
But those down feathers are not going to hold on to oil as well as when they get their adult feathers and they can get waterlogged and drown. If they are with a broody mom her oils will transfer to the duckling helping with waterproofing.

Yes it is possible for oil glands to get clogged and cause wet feather. Usually that doesn't happen unless they are kept in dirty muddy poopy environments with little to no access to swimming water.

Now since you say this is the only duckling you have that is looking like this that is probably not the case here.
Actually in that picture it just looks to me like that duckling may just be a step ahead of the others starting to get adult feathers and just looking ratty from going through that change.
But it's hard to determine for sure from the pic.
Does it look dirty irl or just 'mangy'?

I do believe the oil gland is functioning some from the beginning,
But those down feathers are not going to hold on to oil as well as when they get their adult feathers and they can get waterlogged and drown. If they are with a broody mom her oils will transfer to the duckling helping with waterproofing.

Yes it is possible for oil glands to get clogged and cause wet feather. Usually that doesn't happen unless they are kept in dirty muddy poopy environments with little to no access to swimming water.

Now since you say this is the only duckling you have that is looking like this that is probably not the case here.
Actually in that picture it just looks to me like that duckling may just be a step ahead of the others starting to get adult feathers and just looking ratty from going through that change.
But it's hard to determine for sure from the pic.
Does it look dirty irl or just 'mangy'?
It's actually not my duckling. It's a photo from a different group. It's in a clean environment and it's the only one looking this way. I figured it couldn't hurt to bathe treat it as wet feather. if it is just ratty from feathers growing in, they will know in a few days. I was just really curious because it's the second time in a week somebody has posted a duckling that looked like wet feather, and both times the other ducklings looked good. Part of being in medicine is always asking questions and learning. LOL

It's actually not my duckling. It's a photo from a different group. It's in a clean environment and it's the only one looking this way. I figured it couldn't hurt to bathe treat it as wet feather. if it is just ratty from feathers growing in, they will know in a few days. I was just really curious because it's the second time in a week somebody has posted a duckling that looked like wet feather, and both times the other ducklings looked good. Part of being in medicine is always asking questions and learning. LOL
I know the dawn dish soap is typically recommended for wet feather. My thoughts on that are..
There are times that *could* be helpful if the oil gland is truly clogged and a regular bath did not remove the excess gunk.
But if you do that I'd only let them swim supervised for several days after to be sure they didn't waterlog. And I'd be sure they had a warm place to dry after.

I know the dawn dish soap is typically recommended for wet feather. My thoughts on that are..
There are times that *could* be helpful if the oil gland is truly clogged and a regular bath did not remove the excess gunk.
But if you do that I'd only let them swim supervised for several days after to be sure they didn't waterlog. And I'd be sure they had a warm place to dry after.
My reading said to blow them dry and keep them out of water for 3-5 days, so they could re-waterproof themselves, before swimming again. I'm waiting to hear if washing him helped. I was interested, because it does seem unlikely that the gland would be plugged, but it looks like wet feather in the photo. Maybe it is a situation when the duckling is losing down and getting adult feathers in rapidly? Hoping the person will message me back with results of the bath.... LOL

My reading said to blow them dry and keep them out of water for 3-5 days, so they could re-waterproof themselves, before swimming again. I'm waiting to hear if washing him helped. I was interested, because it does seem unlikely that the gland would be plugged, but it looks like wet feather in the photo. Maybe it is a situation when the duckling is losing down and getting adult feathers in rapidly? Hoping the person will message me back with results of the bath.... LOL
They really do go through a stage where they just look mangy when they start getting adult feathers. It can be quite shocking and make you think something's wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom