Question about varieties of white quail

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
I got some egg from a person near me who raises white quail. He referred to his flock as Texas A&M. The eggs were tiny, a whole lot smaller than my coturnix pharaoh eggs from my flock. Anyway, I keep reading about Texas A&M Jumbo....does that mean there are Texas A&M normal or small birds too? Birds that hatched and grew to maturity are smaller than my coturnix and the male, when crowing, sounds more like a squeaker toy than the crows that come from my pharaoh and golden quail.

I am new at raising quail, but have done some reading up on them. I too am looking into getting some Texas A&AM quail. I understand that they should be about the size of a Jumbo Coturnix quail, but the A&M quail are white meat, in case you have eaten any yet. There are different white quail I understand, so the white color doesn't make them A&M quail. I hope others out there we answer as well so we both can learn from your question.

Baldeagle567

Well the one I still have is pretty much solid white but its sib had the brown pharaoh feather bleed so more than likely they are small Texas A&Ms. Im learning more about the different varieties thanks to others on this site and as I understand it the English Whites would not have that bleed.

So how is it "down under?" It is so fun to find out Im talking to someone so far on this site.

Yes, I think I read that about the head spot particularly in both possible. This was on the wing or side of the body though and it was not just a spot but a blotch of many feathers were brown and they had the golden striping seen on brown pharaohs. Im hoping to some day get some English White hatching eggs. I love the small stature and when they crow it sounds more like a squeaker toy than a clicker.

I am new at raising quail, but have done some reading up on them. I too am looking into getting some Texas A&AM quail. I understand that they should be about the size of a Jumbo Coturnix quail, but the A&M quail are white meat, in case you have eaten any yet. There are different white quail I understand, so the white color doesn't make them A&M quail. I hope others out there we answer as well so we both can learn from your question.

Baldeagle567
There is that white meat myth again. A researcher at A&M noted that the flesh of the birds was white (flesh meaning skin) and since then people have believed that the birds are actually white meat birds. They are not. All coturnix are dark meat. The significance of white coturnix really only matters to commercial producers, white birds with light skin and white feathers don't look as unappealing if the pluckers miss feathers since both the skin and feathers are white. That is the whole reason for the existence of jumbo whites.

As I said I am just new to this and I really appreciate your information and straightening me out. I know now the correct information, Thank you. I have tried to find an article on what Texas A&M did with the with the white quail, do you know where I can find their research paper or recap on their work?

Most of the papers were never made public and require access to the A&m archives which most of us peons will never get. It would be interesting to see all their notes even though by this time im pretty sure ive heard most of the pertinent info they contained. Your best bet on finding out more would be trying to find an old timer who around for the genesis of the jumbo white.

Ah I am interested in knowing more but also about the fawn colored coturnix. Are they recessive too?

If I get some eggs from my one white gal I hope to hatch them and just get some diminuative size offspring. I just loved it when my white male would crow. He really sounded like a squeaker toy. Dark skunk got him.

Back
Top Bottom