question aobut soft shell eggs...

chefchick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2011
So, after weeks of me whining and complaining about no eggs, then one egg, then two ,etc. All six of my big girls are finally laying. But, Saturday and Sunday both there was a very thin shelled egg that was cracked open (Probably stepped on, they were in the nest with other eggs). I know this can happen w/ new layers, but at what point should I be concerned? I am not sure which girl it is doing it, of even if it was two different ones. I feed free choice Purina Layer feed w/ Omega III, and a few treats of veggies, bread, sometimes cheese or meat but not often, and mealworms on occasion, and whatever bugs are in thier run. They are 21 weeks old.

Are you offering crushed oyster shell? I have mine in a small plastic dish that is nailed down...otherwise they just spill it all over willy nilly. My feed store sells it by the pound or you can get a 50 lb. bag for $10. It will last you forever because they don't seem to eat a lot of it, just when they need it. I've heard that people just give back the egg shells to the chickens to provide the needed calcium.

The layer fee dis supposed to be complete, but I do have a bag of oyster shell that dh got mistake. SHOULD I give them the oyster shell and the feed with the calcium already added? Is that too much calcium?

Go ahead and give your hens free choice oyster shell. Very important they will decide what they need. Just hang in there the eggs will get better. As long as they are feed well and given oyster shells, grit, laying pellets and treats.

My other eggs have been great. a couple are still small, but most of the ones I get now are large, dark brown, with nice thick shells.

I got six eggs today (I only have 6 girls old enough to lay). All had nice thick shells. Hopefully it was just a beginner's thing.

Back
Top Bottom