question for anyone who's incubated buckeye eggs

Titania

Songster
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Oklahoma City
Hi, everyone, thanks for looking. I have a really simple question. do buckeye eggs have a longer incubation period than your average egg? I usually have great hatch rates (days 1-18 in brinsea, then lockdown in hovabator). In the same hatch, I had 100% hatch rate in d'uccles (hatched at day 20), 12 of 14 eggs hatched out of Ameraucanas, but NOT ONE buckeye egg has hatched & it's day 23. They were literally all in together. I candled them and tossed out any unfertile eggs. Oh, and they were all shipped eggs.

So, do buckeyes generally incubate for longer or did I just get a whole batch eggs that aren't going to hatch?

thank you!

A friend of mine set a bunch of buckeye eggs. When she turned them for the last time she heard a chirping. There were a couple diff. Kinds of eggs in there, but the buckeyes was the main one. They hatched within two days of Lockdown.

fshinggrl, so did your friend's eggs hatch on day 20 then? So maybe if mine are on day 23 then they're not going to hatch....hmmmm. I was hoping they took longer or something. Darn it. Thanks for replying!

If the temps were off in the incubator they may take longer. Many things can tamper with hatch-ability. There are spots in my incubator where it is just a bit warmer and those eggs always hatch a day early unless I move them around.

Have you taken one out to candle? If none are pipped I will do that to check. Grabbed one this morning to check and didn't need to. I could hear it chirping in there. So I put it back in and within 2 hours I had a pip and it's out.

hmm. I've moved all the eggs to the center of the incubator. And, mind you, they have had the same conditions as the easter eggers which had 85% hatch three days ago.
I think I will take them out & candle them as suggested. Maybe even poke a small hole at the edge of the air sac to see. Any recommendations? Today is day 24 & still no peeping, rocking or pipping.

thanks for the responses!! I love hearing everyone's advice.

where did you get your buckeyes? I got mine from Jim Hall out in Arkansas. I have never had a 0% hatch rate, not even with true araucana eggs from a project line. This is so unbelievable. Hope your hatch goes well!!

I will be making tiny holes tonight & taking a peek. I'll post the results.

well, let me tell you. I poked holes in the air bubble to take a peek and could tell things were not right. So I cracked every single egg open to see what happened. The really dirty eggs stopped developing very early on. But, the majority of them were fully formed with the egg yolk sac not comletely absorbed. They were so beautiful with their little beaks & feathers & all. So, I'm guessing they died around day 17 or 18? Does anyone at all have any idea what could have happened to these eggs. I got zero chicks from 11 shipped eggs. I had a hatch rate of 12/14 with eggs that were in the incubator at the exact same time. Would love an opinion of what went wrong here....thanks!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom