Question for bread bakers...

Lesa

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Upstate NY
Thanks to the wonderful advice on this site, I have finally figured out how to bake bread! The idea of using the bread machine for dough and the real oven for baking is the perfect solution. Okay, now for the dumb question. What to do with the bread when it comes out of the oven. (I know eat it...) I let the bread cool for a little while, then sliced it and enjoyed it. I put the remainder in a plastic bag, but there was way too much condensation. If I just leave it out, it seems it would get dry? Am I missing a step? Thanks for all the great advice!

Leave it out just until it's completely cooled, and then put it in a bag. It won't dry out if it only sits out until it's cooled. I make my bread that way and it's awesome!

Hi, I have been baking bread for years. Usually I bake the old fashioned way but sometimes us my machine. Good idea to just make the dough in it. It depends on the type of bread you make how to store it. French, white and wheat I cool on rack until slightly warm then put in a paper bag-the kind from grocery store. Heavier breads like rye, whole grains and breakfast breads (breads with eggs, milk, butter) should cool all of the way and put in plastic bag with a couple of holes punched in it or a tupperware made for bread storage. Do you find that most bread machine bread gets crumbley within a few hours? Maybe I am using to much of something...hmmm. I think if you use a good brand of bread flour it helps w/ shelf life. All this typing about bread is making me hungry for bagels. Yum I think I will attempt to make them today:)

Last edited:
There was another thread a few weeks ago about bread makers. Due to this I asked Santa for one and bless him he came through. Even though I have followed the instructions TO THE LETTER, all my bread has come out heavy and doughy. Does anyone have a foolproof recipe that I could try??

Sorry for hijacking your thread Lesa
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
How old is your yeast? And are you using bread machine yeast? I had a batch of yeast go bad on me and had several loaves of bread come out like doughy bricks before I went & got some new yeast. No more problem.

King Arthur Flour has lots of good bread recipes on their website--and a whole section on bread machine recipes.

put in an extra teaspoon of yeast. Also, are you using bread flour or regular flour?

I've been baking bread the old fashioned way since my bread machine kicked the bucket, and I must say it is much more rewarding. I bought a regular ole bread box. It lets just enough air in to deter condensation and provides just enough protection to keep the loaves moist. (after completely cooled and usually sampled, of course) If a nice crusty loaf isn't what I want, I wrap the loaf loosely in wax paper without sealing the ends and stick it in the bread box.

Quote:
i brush my loaves with melted butter as soon as i take them out of the pan, then let them cool on wire racks. when they are completely cool, you can seal 'em in plastic bags without the fear of all that condensation. have fun!

If you're having a problem with condensation in the bag, then you need to let the bread cool longer before bagging it. My husband always cuts into bread before it's cooled enough. My solution is the let it finish cooling with the cut side down. That way the open end is protected from drying out, while the bread cools the rest of the way. It works for us.
big_smile.png

For the heavy, doughy loaf, I'd try some fresh yeast, too. If that doesn't help, I'd try letting the machine mix the dough with the same recipe, take it out and finish it the traditional way. If the bread then comes out fine, then there might be something wrong with your machine. It's probably just the yeast, though.

I let the finished loaves sit overnight with a loose covering of tinfoil to cool, then transfer to plastic bags.

As for yeast, I find that those little 3-pack envelops they sell are very expensive! I got like a pound of dry yeast at Smart & Final for $3-$4. We bake a lot of bread, so it makes a big difference. I think it paid itself off after just a few loaves. I keep it in the wine fridge and it has lasted for a year so far. I use 2-3 tsp in place of a packet of yeast.

Back
Top Bottom