Question for gardeners ***UPDATE PG 3***

hmm. Today marks 3 weeks.
fl.gif

Ya'll must be planting a different kind of pea than what we plant down here. We don't start planting peas until now and its in the 70's everyday, sometimes 80's. In fact it seems like on my extension's web site it doesn't recommend planting peas until the 10th. I don't plan on planting mine until next week, which is when I plant okra. Both need really warm soil to start off right. These and eggplant have always been two of the last things that we plant in our first planting.

I'm just guessing, but maybe ya'll are planting the ones that come in cans at the grocery store here, little green ones? We plant what we call field peas here, I don't know of anyone that grows the little green ones around here.

I'm in VA, our peas, onions and potatoes always get planted before 3/17 (ST.patty's day) We plant by the Farmer's Almanac... our peas are about 6 inches tall now... peas are cool weather crop, we plant spring and fall crop...

Check your seeds, you may have to do another planting...

I planted my peas last Saturday. I'm in Chicago, in zone 5b (or maybe zone 6 by now). It's not too early to plant them, it's just that they germinate more slowly in the cooler soil.

The soil temp in the raised bed where I planted the peas, chard, and beets is about 50 degrees F. For optimum (fastest) germination of pea seeds, soil temp should be about 70 F.

For faster germination, you can warm your soil first by covering it with black plastic for a week. I didn't do that but I'm in no hurry to get my peas up. If they sprout within the next couple weeks that's fine and I'll still get my June peas.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom