Question for goat folks

For our girls pen (we have 3 ND does), we have 4 foot noclimb/woven wire fence, with 1x6 headers at the top, making it just under 5 foot high. It is set on posts 6-8 feet apart.

For their pasture (which is almost done!), we have posts spaced 7-8 feet apart, 4 foot high welded wire fence (5 foot in one low area on a hill) with 1x4 headers over the top, making it about 4.5-5 feet tall. Inside of that by about a foot, we are putting in electric tape at just-above ground, nose, and just-above head height, to keep them from putting pressure on the fence at all. Any gates are lined with woven or welded wire.

Wire-woven no climb fence. It has graduated-openings with the smaller openings at the bottom that get larger as it goes up. Our posts are wooden and the fence is nailed to the inside. If the girls push out on it, it won't loosen the nails. I check it weekly for any places that have gotten loose. Chain-link fencing is expensive but works well for escape artist goats.

I use the horse panels, heavy duty. I only have Nigerians but the I like it to keep others/people/dogs OUT. They are 16 foot panels set on 8 foot posts. I also have horses, so this is for all the critters. Won't have to replace this one soon!!

I use cattle panels. I've got one alpine wether, 1 fainter doe, and 1 fainter buck.

40051_goat.jpg

You can kinda of see it here.

4 ft high no climb horse fence will work fine. Out posts are spaced 15 ft apart and stretched between H braces. Farm fence may be OK but you risk their heads getting stuck in fence with larger openings. I have had to unstuck a goat head more than once with spaces over 4" wide along the sides of the gates. I added boards to keep things tight and safe.
big_smile.png

Not having much money, I used pallets, one full and one cut in half, makes a nice tight fench.

Quote:
This is what I use and called hog panels here.

I now have a doe that has horns and keeps sticking her head through the whole and can't get it back out. I have to help her get unstuck cause the horns have to both be back through the hole and then turn and pull her head back.

She is new here and may not be use to this fencing.....she is trying to eat weeds and grass.

now that I look yea in that one pic its a hog panel. The others are cattle panels. That picture is of my kidding pen. Had to go with the hog panels cuz kids slip through the squares on cattle panels

Back
Top Bottom