Question for sellers-do you replace eggs for bad hatches-when and why?

Quote:
lau.gif
You cannot do that to an overly emotional and hormonal pregnant woman!

(BTW, I'm serious about eggs. I have a new flock rooster since last Summer and do package differently.)

Click on the pic for more photo's.
I have started using foam. I HATE wrapping each individual egg!
gig.gif

I get them made by a local company and they are awesome for shipping eggs.
thumbsup.gif

I don't replace eggs. I had too many people that wanted, wanted, and rewanted replacements. It got to where I was spending more than I was making. Breaking even is one thing but when I have to take money from my home to reship eggs that they claim doesn't hatch or gets broken. You'll go broke. I did tests on the other BYC a few times to friends. Funny the eggs had 95% to 100% hatch rates when shipped to honest people.
roll.png

Then I caught one lady on Ebay contacted my son for White Silkie eggs and even filed a Paypal refund. I did some feedback snooping. She claimed Ricks White Silkies hatched out Buff. I looked and she had bought Buff from another seller and upon me emailing them they said she told them the same thing only opposite. They sent replacement eggs and I wouldn't let Rick. I sent all the emails and information to Paypal. She lost the dispute.
big_smile.png

So no. I no longer replace eggs. As a matter of fact I haven't sold any in 2 years even with requests. Right now I'm adding new breeds and selling some until I get what I want to raise. I do trade eggs every once in a while and the above foam works perfect.
wink.png

Opps, I should say. I made these in the pics myself. I contacted a foam company to make them to fit Priority boxes. So far the prices are good and I can afford to use them.

Last edited:
Hi Dar'! I'm glad you told me that. Failure to set the eggs within 24 hrs of arrival voids the warranty --- didn't you read the fine print? Poor eggies, having to sit around getting old and wait on other eggies that may or may not show up.
Hahahaha!
But seriously, they're marked with 'date layed' so you know exactly old they are when you set them.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Your eggs went out today! Early today and made the truck... so they should be happily cohabitating with Lisa's eggs Thursday. Sorry for the delay, you know the story... and I passed your condolences on to Maggie.

Blessings,
M

In the past, I have replaced eggs for shipping, then once or twice, sent them at my own cost. So far, all my buyers have been very reasonable and didn't expect replacement. I wrap then individually in heavy bubble wrap with special attention given to the box corners and sides. I've had only one egg actually broken that anyone has told me, though one or two have been cracked. The broken one had what looked like a pencil punctured the side of the box. Tori in Alaska had one with a hairline crack, but the box was crushed on one corner. I agree that you pack so a truck could run over it and they'd be reasonably safe anyway.
This year, I will probably not be sending replacement eggs unless they candle clear/never develop at all. I did have a fertility issue with one hen this year and finally caught it when two people didnt get any to develop, then I couldnt even get any fertiles from her at home. Those I will replace for shipping. ThreeBoysChicks got a shipment of 19 eggs from me recently and ALL of them were growing at first candling. Great packing is the key; after all, it's the only thing besides the health of your breeders that you can control.

LOL, I caught that too
lau.gif
. April Fools!!!

A*pril F*ools is also replaced with ^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom