Question for the horse people on horses diet

Dean126

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
So I saw this video on youtube

I am amazed, shocked, and find it very funny at the same time. Can somebody tell me if this is relatively normal, because this is unheard of for me... But I also don't have horses.

It's normal in the sense that horses do this sometimes, but their digestive system just wasn't designed to eat meat. I'm not really sure what would motivate a horse to eat a chick or any other meat for that matter, except for being territorial or something.

Is it because they need some nutrients not found in grasses every once in a while?

It's been known to happen, but I wouldn't say it's normal. I would say that horse was either very hungry or severely lacking in a certain mineral. They aren't designed to eat meat and bones. It could cause a lot of digestive issues, especially if there is nothing else in their digestive track. Horses have an extremely sensitive digestive system; a buildup of gases can kill them. It's a pretty tight shot, but it doesn't look like there is any hay in the feeder and nothing on the ground.

Based on the fact that this person is filming before anything happens and is very focused on the one area, I'm guessing it's not the first chick that horse has eaten. That person knew what was going to happen and was ready to film it. Frankly, I think the whole thing is pretty sad for both animals. Even if the horse is fine and well feed, the person still allowed the hen to bring her chicks into the area to be eaten, just for the entertainment of watching it again and getting it on film. Pretty disturbing if you ask me.

(And no, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. I've slaughtered my own poultry for meat. But I don't kill for fun or let my animals suffer painful deaths if I can prevent it.)

Back
Top Bottom