question for those who have ordered from Ideal

I also ordered mine in Feb. Since your in Texas expect the chicks to arrive the morning after being shipped(at least mine were). They told me they left for the p.o. at 3 p.m. and they were at my p.o. at 8 a.m. the next morning. I don't know if that's usual but i would be prepaired.
Good Luck

I'm in Texas too and have had the same experience with Ideal. They always arrive very early the morning after they ship. My PO calls me about 6:30 usually.

I ordered 10 silkies from Ideal and it was delivered, which was strange. 8 peanuts and 2 dead silkies, and two more died within an hour.

We were less than pleased.

Quote:
I ordered from Ideal a few months ago. They drew payment right before they shipped them out. I have ordered chickens from individuals and from hatcheries and it is my habit to call the Post Office the day before they are scheduled to arrive and tell someone I will be there as soon as they open (which is 6:00 a.m. when the mail truck arrives to unload all the branch's mail). I am parked at the P.O. at 6:00 a.m. waiting and as soon as I see the big truck arrive, I go inside, knock on the window and holler 'Underwood here to pick up her chicks!' They are usually first to come off the big truck and I can hear them peeping. If you are there to pick them up you can save your chicks from hours of fright and discomfort. Never had any problems doing it that way.

Quote:
How horrible is that!! You might have better luck ordering your Silkies from an individual. I ordered mine from Seriously Silkies - a lady named Laura Beardsley in Illinois. She was strict on shipping them only when it would be the right temp. for the birds to be shipped and how old they were when shipped. Her pet quality birds are very good quality and they are not very expensive, and she is a wonderful lady to buy from. I have kept her up with email and photos on the birds she sold me and she is always glad to hear that they are happy and well-cared for. Her birds are probably more expensive than Ideal, but they were all healthy and active when they arrived at my P.O., and I never had a problem with them. I bought other Silkies, also very good quality, from a lady in CA and they were very expensive, but...got healthy, beautiful chicks. Both ladies shipped with either watermelon or cantaloupe (not cucumber: edited) rinds so the chicks would have moisture and nourishment in the box. They were shipped to me when they were a month old, so it's not like they were day old chicks who retain nourishment enough right out of the egg to withstand no food for a couple of days. I'm very sorry about your little Silkies. Are the rest of them doing all right now?

Last edited:
I ordered my very first chicks from Ideal and received them on September 4th. They drew the $$$ right before shipping the chicks, sent me a shipping confirmation emai, and I called my P.O. the day before they were due to arrive. The P.O. wouldn't let me pick'em up before regular business hours even though they called me at 6:30 a.m. to confirm reception of the chicks. I got my 15 chicks, no peanuts, all were happy and healthy and are still going strong with no runt in the group. I've been very pleased with Ideal and my local feed store also orders from them and have good things to report.

I went back and forth with the great lady there, and finally begged her to take out the money, and not accept any more changes to my order!!! She was very nice, and gave in, though she probably could have talked me into buying zillions of chicks... i just kept wanting more, and more, and more!!! She was SO, SO helpful and nice.

I am definately going to pick up at the p.o.... I do not want thembeing delivered... we dont get our mail until after 4pm if he even shows up( didn't get mail one day and got mail twice the next day-i know he didn't come because i checked the mail the next morning -no mail, checked the mail at 11 -got mail, was out in the yard at 4 when low and behold here is the mail man)... I wouldn't put my chicks thru that even if he was early

I love Ideal. Usually they take my money after they've shipped.

I have never gotten a bad shipment of birds. Four times now.

I did get bad birds from other hatcheries - not a "postal crime thing" but just failure to do well.

Postal crimes - whether purpose or neglect will happen. There are guerrillas and morons there.

That said my next Ideal order is due in oct. some birchen cochin bantams. Eight of them. I do love their small order option.

I've not yet been unhappy with the health of Ideals chicks when they've arrived.

When they haven't enough chicks hatch for an order they notified me immediately and reset the date.

I think they rock. I didn't really need more chickens. Not sure how that happened.

Back
Top Bottom