Question: includes loss of birds

flnatv

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
West Tennessee
I lost a rooster and 2 hens yesterday afternoon while they were free-ranging in the yard.
2 dogs went through my 6 foot privacy fence.

I have one that is injured in the bathtub on antibiotics and vitamins/electrolytes.

I have one hen (9 weeks) left in the coop along with 19 younger chicks (3-4 weeks). The little ones have been in a brooder inside the coop for at least a week now...
Since there is only one hen (BSL) in the coop, as long as I monitor is it okay to let the babies (Partridge Rock, NH, bantam BO, Silkies, Polish) out with her? I cannot be there ALL the time and did leave them together in the coop overnight (after dark and until 4:30am).

I hate for the little ones to have to stay locked up, don't want to let the big girl out by herself....

Please Advise whether this is a big NO-NO

So very sad about the deaths from dogs. Do you know whose dogs they are? Did the dogs run off? (they will be back).

Your 9 week old hen - would she be gentle with your injured hen in the bathtub? Bathtub hen may benefit from having a buddy - you would just have to wtach closely and make sure uninjured hen doesn't peck at injured hen.

JJ

Not sure I should put them together...the one in the tub isn't standing at the moment... She has taken in water and has moved around some, but has a gash under her wing at her back.
She is OVERLY calm, which tells me she is hurting. I think the other one would not like the confines and would step all over her... maybe in a few days.

That being said... is she too old for a stuffed animal or something to keep her at ease?
She is in the hall bathroom, so she gets LOTS of visitors.

As for putting the 4 weekers with the 9 weeker, I say give it a try and observe how they get along for a while before leaving them unobserved. See how it goes and then decide what you think is best.

For the bathdub chicken, I would keep her wound clean with a saline wash and treat with Vetericyn. You can give her aspirin for the pain. See the Poultry Podiatry site for dosage information (under "Give Painkiller" about a third of the way down the page). Also, once her antibiotics are done, give her yogurt to replace the good flora in her gut the antibiotics probably killed off. Letting the good flora die off can cause a secondary infection that is harder to treat. You can certainly try giving her a stuffed animal to snuggle as long as it is clean.

Sorry for your loss. There is a legal section on the forums where you can see if there is any action you can take against the dogs' owners. In most states, the owner is liable for the loss and may be criminally negligent for loose or dangerous dogs. It is the owner's responsibility to keep their dogs in check.

Thank you...
I am currently using Duramycin... will this be okay?

Sending my son out now for yogurt. We are pretty much anti-antibiotics around here and I had a brain lapse about replacing good bacteria.... I am going to go ahead and give her some, not only to help with the bacteria, but to keep her eating. THANK YOU!!!

I should have some big needless syringes that i can put saline water in and rinse her... concentrating on the actual wound.

Definitely check out the painkiller page...

BYCers are awesome!!!

As for the dogs... we live in the country and I am going to double fence the yard (add welded wire inside the fence). If they get through that I WILL find out where they came from, but as of now... I am going to prevent first... They will remain in the coop until I get that done.

Quote:
The antibiotic powder you add to drinking water? Iirc, that is tetracycline. If she is drinking the correct dosage twice a day, it should work fine.

thank you and YES, it is added to water and is Tetracycline based.
Just checked on her and she is by the feed... had her head right over it, so I am hoping she is eating.
I measured the best I could for last nights dosage. I will have to go into school today and will pick up my electronic scale so I get a precise measurement for the next days.

The big hen in the coop appears to be scared of the little ones LOL... maybe this was an opportune time to introduce them. She is lonely and needs company.... that is her only choice
smile.png

You can topically apply neosporin to the wound(s) in addition to oral antibiotic.

Aspirin water at 1 baby aspirin (81 mg) to one cup drinking water is okay, but if she is actively bleeding or you suspect internal injury seek an alternative pain killer from a vet because aspirin thins the blood and could cause her to bleed dangerously.

A drop or two of Rescue Remedy in her water to help with stress.

Electrolytes for shock (Gatorade or Pedialyte will do in a pinch - you can spritz some on wtaer melon or any other treat that she will accept).

JJ

Quote:
Holy mackerel! I can't believe I forgot all about Rescue Remedy. I used to use the stuff all of the time and found it very effective. Even my husband, who is skeptical about every remedy I recommend, found it effective.

For anybody who doesn't know, Bach's Rescue Remedy is a combination of flower extracts that has a calming effect. It comes in a little bottle with a dropper and it just takes a couple of drops. You can get it at Whole Foods or online. I highly recommend it.

We have an herb store here.. will look (maybe call before driving the 15 miles).
if I have to order it, I can at least keep it in a first aid kit.

I don't see any active bleeding... she is staying very calm at the moment.

Based on her weight and size I am giving her 1 baby aspirin in some yogurt....

I really want to pick her up and hug on her, but don't want to make her hurt worse.

I am honestly surprised she made it over night... she is one tough girl.

The girl in the barn is fairing well with the babies... I think I am good on that. I raised the "brooder" box on some 6x6 posts on the end... the little ones can get in the brooder and the big girl cannot. This gives then a place to escape if needed. I think she is too stressed to care.

We are also under heat advisory today, so I added a fan to the coop today (really have to get the barn hard wired)... the hurt girl is still inside in the bathtub, so heat isn't an issue with her.

I appreciate all the advice.
I will try and take a picture when I clean her up later and see what else you think I should do. I put NON PAIN RELIEF neosporin on her as I heard the ones with pain relief can be toxic.

Back
Top Bottom